Topic Title: Difference between BEng and BSc
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10 July 2006 11:50 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 30 March 2007 09:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

mbirdi

Originally posted by: g3xoi
Who would refuse a BA or MA from Cambridge because he was a scientist, mathematician or engineer?

Ah! now Cambridge is a different ball game altogether. I'd be more than happy to replace all my qualifications including MIET (qualification? you say?) for an HNC from Cambridge University, never mind a BA or MA.

Just to say that I went to Cambridge Uni would be compensation enough against failing to get a CEng.

I can imagine it giving a massive boost to my career.

"The offer on the table is an HNC from Cambridge University or you could play on for the IEng or perhaps even win our star prize which is the CEng". "But you could walk away with only MIET if your luck runs out." "So what is it to be?" "HNC? Deal or no Deal?"

DEAL!

The answer is no I wouldn't refuse them.
 29 May 2007 08:51 PM

deleted_rangerx

I also have a similar misunderstanding. I want to do an Aeronautical Engineering degree BSc(Hons) at a UK institution and from my research the content is more like the same with BEng Aeronauctical Engineering. The BEng offers chartered engineering status at the end of 3yrs but i don't know if the BSc does.
The reason why I want t do the BSc is because the institution fees of BSc per term is less than 1500pounds which is good compare to others that pay 3000 tuition fees. As i'm not entitled to government loan yet, I can only get private loan but i can afford to pay 1300 per term from my own money so in this case i think i should take the BSc offer. I would like to complete uni and have the knowledge to move on to work in a similar sector and I'm afraid of competition. I feel like the employer would pick a candidate with BEng and not the BSc if he/she had to pick one. So any advice to me?
 30 May 2007 12:18 AM

ahouston

Rangerx

I cannot understand how you think that a BEng course lasting 3 years will offer Chartered Engineer status at the end of those three years. To acheive CEng one must have an accredited 4year integrated MEng (or equivalent) PLUS 4 to 6 years of Professional Development in order to gain the required level of Competencies required for registration as a CEng.

Consequently, no 3 year degree - whether called a BEng or BSc(Hons) - would meet the cirrent educational requirements without further "Top-up" to MEng equivalent.

As I have said in the past, the title of the degree is irrelevant, it is the content that matters.

BTW. The accreditation of the degree is done by the relevant professional body - for example, the Royal Aeronautical Society or the IET - under its licence from the EC-uk (as a body approved to assess and recommend its members for registration as CEng [and possibly for IEng, EngTech]). The EC-uk sets the criteria for registration and these criteria are common across all professional bodies so licensed.

-------------------------
Andy
EurIng Andrew Houston CEng FIET
PRA, PRI and Volunteer Career Manager Advisor
 30 May 2007 03:23 PM

mbirdi

rangerx,

The following list of courses will help you decide the best route to CEng:

http://www.iee.org/professiona...s%20-%20Issue%2003.pdf

Edited: 30 May 2007 at 04:46 PM by mbirdi
 30 May 2007 09:05 PM

deleted_rangerx

Thanks for the response ahouston and mbirdi. I understand more now.
I dont really mind doing either as long as it a course I want to do and can also afford it. I've some other institution offering BEng at 1200 fees
 05 June 2007 12:41 PM

deleted_FA

Mine is a BSc Electrical Engineering lasting 4 years and very intensive: rotating machines, electromagnetics,power systems, electronics, communications, control systems, microprocessors, C++ (all in the first three years and with labs). In the fourth year, we take electives in order to speacialize. The final project is quite intensive too. The program is accredited by ABET (thats the accrediting board in the US).

The point is: why would anyone think BEng is superior to BSc? They're the same.
 05 June 2007 04:30 PM

espana

so if a MSc doesnt get you a CEng what about iEng?
 11 June 2007 11:19 AM

stuartcecil

Most Universities offer a selection of BEng and Bsc courses. A BEng tends to concentrate on a certain area, such as Electrical, Mechanical, Aerospace etc. Where as a Bsc has a broader subject matter. This can be seen on any Uni website where degree courses are advertised.i.e

BEng (hons) Electrical & Electronic Engineering
Bsc (hons) Engineering.

The two key points to consider if you wish to continue engineering as a career, is
a. Do an honours degree if possible
b. Make sure it's accredited by the relevant Institutions.

Whatever degree you do, it'll take time and effort, so may as well make it worthwhile.

This will make life easier when applying to the Institutions for professional registration.

If you study for a BEng(hons) you can move onto a MEng (hons) after your second year, for another two years. Four years in total compared with three for a BEng.

I do not think you can enrol onto a part-time, post grad MEng like you would an MSc.

Hope this helps.

Stuart Cecil
 11 June 2007 04:20 PM

amillar

Originally posted by: stuartcecil
Most Universities offer a selection of BEng and Bsc courses. A BEng tends to concentrate on a certain area, such as Electrical, Mechanical, Aerospace etc. Where as a Bsc has a broader subject matter. This can be seen on any Uni website where degree courses are advertised.i.e

BEng (hons) Electrical & Electronic Engineering
Bsc (hons) Engineering.

It's a bit more subtle at Plymouth at least:

BEng (Hons) Communication Engineering
BEng (Hons) Computer Engineering
BEng (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Engineering
BEng (Hons) Electronic Engineering

BSc (Hons) Computer Systems Engineering
BSc (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Systems
BSc (Hons) Electronic Communication Systems

The difference being that the BSc contains the word "Systems". BSc is (as I understand it) the same course but aimed at potential IEng rather than potential CEng.

Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 11 June 2007 04:30 PM

htomlins

Well, BSc, BEng or MEng, I think as long as you study what motivates you in a location you want to be in your degree is worthwhile.

When I did my BSc(Hons) in Computer Technology [yes, in the University's School of Engineering, yes, with the same mathematical content as the BEngs] I did it because the wider scope of the BSc was a whole lot more appealing than concentrating on a particular branch of engineering (like Control or Electronics), all of which were BEng courses.

With Computing, you used to (arguably!) be able to either 1) Study Computer Science BSc and become an analyst/programmer, or 2) Study Computer Engineering & Electronics BEng and become an electronics or systems designer. I had an interest in both but wanted to do neither! My aim was to get a grounding in both hardware and software in order to gain a complete picture of a system in order to be able to maintain and develop it. That's why the BSc appealed, and at the time, my Uni was one of the few that offered a course with such breadth. The downside (not that I cared at the time) was that it's accreditation was still pending. If you've seen any of my previous posts, it's questionable whether this is a big thing with Computing courses anyway. However, in hindsight, it's something that worth bearing in mind when comparing BSc courses of this type like-for-like.

Anyway, I hope that insight's helped with the discussion a bit!

- H

Hayden Tomlins BSc(Hons) MIET MBCS
 09 May 2010 11:28 PM

teliarab

There is a little diffrence, Bsc teach you more into science courses i.e math physics and chemistry statistic and numiracal method but BENG, is more into engineering courses like statics, dynamics thermodynamics 1 and 2 and metallurgy. Bsc is offered typically in arab world , USA and its acceridated by ABET bahrain, Qatar universirty

BENG is easier to get admission than Bsc, because Bsc is little harder. But all company treat both the same way and both are 4 years
IET » Student and apprentice discussion forum » Difference between BEng and BSc

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.