IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Career transition to consumer isolation and testing
Topic Summary: Looking for anyone with experience swapping to installation and testing work
Created On: 03 October 2017 08:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Career transition to consumer isolation and testing   - ScottCouper - 03 October 2017 08:36 AM  
 Career transition to consumer isolation and testing   - RJB83 - 03 October 2017 12:10 PM  
 Career transition to consumer isolation and testing   - geoffsd - 03 October 2017 12:50 PM  
 Career transition to consumer isolation and testing   - mikejumper - 03 October 2017 01:43 PM  
 Career transition to consumer isolation and testing   - geoffsd - 03 October 2017 02:00 PM  
 Career transition to consumer isolation and testing   - AJJewsbury - 03 October 2017 01:43 PM  
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03 October 2017 08:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ScottCouper

Is there anyone out there who has changed career towards electrical installation and testing later in life? I have a degree in electrical and electronic engineering and have done the odd home project over the years before regulation required current certification levels. I would like to hear from anyone who has retrained later in life to allow them to take on small installation and certification jobs.

-------------------------
Scotty
 03 October 2017 12:10 PM

RJB83

Hi Scotty,

I am actually trying to go in the opposite direction in which you are headed. Can I ask why you are thinking of switching?

-------------------------
Regards,

Rich
 03 October 2017 12:50 PM

geoffsd

Originally posted by: ScottCouper
years before regulation required current certification levels.

If you are referring to the "notification" procedure, for certain work (very little now in England), that just means you may have to inform the Local Authority, in one way or another.

It has nothing to do with Electrical Certificates being issued - which anyone may (is allowed to) do.

It is unfortunate and confusing that registered electricians, who may "self-notify" are referred to as "self-certifying"; it is a misnomer.
 03 October 2017 01:43 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: geoffsd
...It is unfortunate and confusing that registered electricians, who may "self-notify" are referred to as "self-certifying"; it is a misnomer.

I guess the certificate this may refer to is the one which comes from LABC.
But I agree, it is misleading.
 03 October 2017 02:00 PM

geoffsd

Using a Self-Certifying Electrician will not lead to a Completion Certificate from the Local Authority but a Certificate of Compliance from the Competent Person Scheme.

The same difference perhaps, and more confusion, but in either case it is not the electrician who issues it.

It is clear from the OP that he thinks because he is not registered to self-certify that he is not allowed to work when an electrical certificate might/should be issued.

Maybe he can get Part P qualified while he's at it.
 03 October 2017 01:43 PM

AJJewsbury

It is unfortunate and confusing that registered electricians, who may "self-notify" are referred to as "self-certifying"; it is a misnomer.

Although if it's the Building Regulations Completion Certificate you have in mind (rather than BS 7671 EIC/MWC), the phase does make a certain amount of sense (even if it's the scheme administrators that do the printing and posting).
- Andy.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.