Em lighting.   - Fm - 29 September 2017 12:02 PM  
 Em lighting.   - AJJewsbury - 29 September 2017 12:06 PM  
 Em lighting.   - OMS - 29 September 2017 02:38 PM  
 Em lighting.   - SKElectrical - 01 October 2017 09:18 PM  
 Em lighting.   - mapj1 - 01 October 2017 10:47 PM  
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 29 September 2017 11:31 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

SKElectrical

So I've just started back on some emergency lighting projects, Wahoo!
5266-1:2016 8.3.3 requires a "Suitable test facility for the application".

Ideally key switches I know I know, but does an MCB satisfy 8.3.3 ?
 29 September 2017 11:55 AM

ArduinoXR

Yes you can. I would recommend a central test unit.
 29 September 2017 12:02 PM

Fm

not the most elegant solution
 29 September 2017 12:06 PM

AJJewsbury

Perhaps depends on whether it's acceptable for the main lighting to be off during the test - em lighting might be OK for a safe evacuation, but perhaps not for continuing normal work...
- Andy.
 29 September 2017 02:38 PM

OMS

Read the standard

BS 5266-1:2016 will tell you in section 8.3.3 that the system should have an appropriate means for simulating failure of the normal supply and that operation of the test device should not interrupt ower to any other electrical equipment that could lead to a hazard

It also requires the test device to be used for monthly (short duration) and annual (full duration) tests - and for the device to be protected against unauthorised operation

Basically, in anything other than a very simple system in a low risk facility, using the MCB as the test device probably won't comply with all of the above

I would wouldn't consider it compliant is asked to comment

Basically it as rough as a badgers **** to resort to flipping MCB's when you want to test emergency lighting systems

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Let the wind blow you, across a big floor.
 01 October 2017 09:18 PM

SKElectrical

Lol. The MCBs are upside down too.
I had all the BS documents a couple of years ago but that was on a different computer so I can't read 5266 right now.
 01 October 2017 10:47 PM

mapj1

I'd say so long as operating the MCB is not difficult, either because it is in a silly place, or because turning it off for the duration of a run-down test would cause other problems, perhaps by blacking out too much of the building, or causing some other important thing to go off, then it is OK to test EM lights this way and indeed doing so occasionally, will actually pick up some faults that may otherwise be missed.

Not very long ago I got called in to look at a building where the lights in the ladies loo would not go out - supposedly on motion sensors. But after removing all the sensors, and also the only thing I could see that should be fed with both live and switched, live, the extractor fan, to the point where all these units and a sad pile of wood screws was on the floor, and wires hanging out of the ceiling, I was still left very much "in the light", as it were.
To cut a story that ended up far longer than it should have been, rather shorter, the EM test cables had been mis-wired, and operation of the test key switch simply bypassed the motion sensors, putting the lights on permanently. Everyone had assumed the EM lights were very bright in the loo, and used all the lamps, so indistinguishable from normal operation.
For some reason this switch 'EM lighting test' or whatever as labelled had been flipped to the on position, and not been switched back off.
When power really was removed, by the MCB, this revealed that actually some new batteries were needed, and probably had been for quite a while.
A there are ladies, gents, disabled toilets, and a shower, all mis-wired like this, just for now, I have recommended testing on the MCB, and it will get fixed later to make the test switches work.
It has been all wrong since new, in 2011 or so.

-------------------------
regards Mike
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.