Increase font size
Topic Title: AC / DC Current and the effects on the human body
Topic Summary:
Created On: 20 March 2009 01:28 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 March 2009 01:28 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

MadMedic

Ladies & Gents this topic may well have been debated to death (no pun intended) but I would appreciate opinions please. I have been asked a question by a First Aid Trainer friend of mine with regard to the effects of AC & DC current on the human body. In the latest addition of the First Aid manual (9th ed') it states something to the effect that AC current will make you hang onto it and DC will throw you off. Now I have my own opinions on this, the main one of which is that this is a gross over simplification of an extremly complex subject; however I'd really appreciate peoples views as to the effects of both AC & DC current on the human body. Many thanks in anticipation of your help, guidance and advice on this subject
 22 March 2009 12:34 PM

westonpa

Apart from the obvious effects it is difficult to know or prove. As you know we are made of atoms and electricity involves the transfer of electrons....and our atoms themselves have electrons of course. So what if for example the electricity running through our bodies modified a cell that became cancerous and did not get cleared out by our immune system. Some months/years later the person is diagnosed with cancer but who is to know that it was caused by electricity. Of course the risks are quite minimal with respect to other possible causes, and other things in life, but sometimes there may be effects that we are not fully aware of. Regards.
 22 March 2009 12:53 PM

sfchew

First of all we may need to recognise the environement we are in put us to AC risks much higher than DC.

Both AC and DC will cause fatalities.

The effect of AC and DC will depend more on the current amplitude involved.

Hanging on or being pushed off when in contact with electricity depends on the current magnitude rather than AC or DC.

Regards
Chris Chew
 24 March 2009 03:41 AM

Samuel Chan

Both AC & DC will let us die. But usually we only touch DC in ELV and AC in LV & HV, AC is more danger than DC???

Samuel Chan
 24 March 2009 02:49 PM

alankee99

I have been asked a question by a First Aid Trainer friend of mine with regard to the effects of AC & DC current on the human body.

I think you need to get your friend to fully define the question.
If your friend cannot define the question then it might be a good idea to try and help then break the question down into smaller chunks.
 07 April 2009 10:57 AM

tpg500

I was told it was the other way round:
AC throws you off (after frying you, current magnitude dependent)
DC will have you hanging on as it makes the muscles contract.

Not sure if that is all completely true but it can be seen in the South of the country on the railway DC 3rd rail which animals accidentaly touch and can't let go of. Whereas in the North you'll never see a badger unable to let go of the AC overhead line
 07 April 2009 12:05 PM

spinlondon

Because it switches polarity, the AC will through you off. Unless of course you've just coiled the cable round your forearm.
 30 January 2017 03:47 PM

greeny1987

Hi All,

Could I ask a favour. Please can you complete my online survey with regards to LVDC, via the link shown below. All surveys are anonymous and it will help towards my dissertation for my BEng.

https://surveymonkey.com/r/NQGKPYT

Thank you,
Stacey.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.