Increase font size
Topic Title: Cable not fit for purpose
Topic Summary: BASEC Warning
Created On: 23 May 2010 03:13 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 23 May 2010 03:13 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

den1962

I have an email form my wholesaler, on cables from Atlas Kablo, not fit for purpose.
The warning come from BASEC.
Atlas Kablo have had their licence suspended. Have you had this.
 23 June 2010 02:48 PM

jeremyhodge

I can confirm this is the case. Cables affected are BS 6004 types (singles, flat twin, single core sheathed) marked with "Atlas Kablo". Details are to be found on the BASEC website BASEC websitewww.basec.org.uk. No other manufacturer is involved.

Atlas Kablo's HAR scheme certificate for its H05VV-F flexes has also now been suspended. Details again from the BASEC website.

Updates will be posted there from time to time.

Dr Jeremy Hodge, CEO, BASEC
 25 June 2010 04:37 PM

kj scott

Jeremy;
Would it be possible to automatically post BASAC warnings; related to electrical installation products directly to the forum; or the IET. As this could be a good way of circulating the information to interested parties
 29 June 2010 11:16 AM

jeremyhodge

Yes, we can post warnings to this Forum quite easily. I will ask that this is done in future. Jeremy Hodge, BASEC.
 01 July 2010 09:47 PM

paulskyrme

Originally posted by: jeremyhodge

Yes, we can post warnings to this Forum quite easily. I will ask that this is done in future. Jeremy Hodge, BASEC.

Thank you Jeremy, that will be very helpful.

Paul
 03 July 2010 10:54 AM

Backintime

What's the technical implication of the warning? Are the cables a source of fire or electric shock risks? E.g., the electrical insulation can break apart or get fried?

Or they do not meet the BS requirements that they need to be further derated to make sure they do not operate at above the max operating temperature or have excessive volt-drop?

Regards
 03 July 2010 11:13 AM

alancapon

Following the link to the BASEC website, it lists the problem as "insufficient copper" in the conductors, leading to higher than normal conductor resistance.

Regards,

Alan.
 27 February 2011 03:50 PM

sparkingchip

I have just been going through a pile of magazines throwing out the old stuff, however I have been looking through some before putting them in the recycling bin.

These magazines include the Electrical Times, Switched On and Professional electrician amongst others. There are various reports on the Atlas Kablo cables saga, however the one that caught my eye was from the Electrical Times from seven months ago, July 2010 which basically implies BASEC did not know there was a problem until others told them about it, also it said that FS Cables criticized BASEC back in 2008 for not taking more samples from the open market.

I have lost confidence in cables having BASEC certification being of the correct standard, is it now the case that new procedures have been put in place and I can take BASEC certification as a indication of cable being fit for purpose?

Little more than a week ago the manager of a wholesalers said to me "we haven't got the cable you want this morning, we should have a delivery later, I don't know what make it will be, but don't worry it will be BASEC". I would like to take that at face value, but I still uncertain that I can.

Andy
 27 February 2011 06:41 PM

jeremyhodge

Andy,

We can appreciate your concerns about the problem with Atlas Kablo cable. Since the incident we have seen a big change in approach by specifiers and contractors in checking the cable they are purchasing, which is to be applauded. BASEC has to operate under confidentiality requirements and accreditation rules and is unable to reveal detailed information about the case. However, what can be said is that BASEC identified an issue with Atlas Kablo cable at an early stage, communicated this to appropriate bodies, and implemented sanctions immediately the extent and severity of the problem became apparent.

BASEC's expectations of cable manufacturers have always been that each drum or reel of cable they sell should be fully in conformity with the requirements of the relevant standard, and that all cable sold must have passed specified pre-shipment factory tests. These requirements were not satisfied in the Atlas Kablo case, and as a result non-conforming product was shipped to the market. As a direct consequence of these actions Atlas Kablo lost its BASEC license.

As a result of this incident, BASEC has implemented a number of new checks and additional requirements on manufacturers, and is also pushing for changes with other responsible bodies. We trust that these will minimise the risk of this sort of event occurring in the future. In addition to selecting cable samples from factories and obtaining more samples from the market, BASEC is also making unannounced visits to factories to check that manufacturers are following the required procedures and that cable is fully in compliance with the standards.

Dr Jeremy Hodge
Chief Executive
BASEC
Jeremy.Hodge@basec.org.uk
 27 February 2011 06:50 PM

sparkingchip

Well! I cannot question that reply can I.

Andy
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.