Increase font size
Topic Title: Track lighting
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03 October 2017 10:30 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03 October 2017 10:30 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Christofer

Hello

I have a kitchen which requires lighting, customer wants downlights, problem its impossible to get a reasonable layout due to pipework, joists, etc. So, I thought led track lighting may be an option but most look a little commercial, any recommendations or ideas?

Cheers
 04 October 2017 01:01 AM

MWalker86

As a lighting scheme, replicating the effect of recessed down lights with track luminaires will look very odd indeed.
 04 October 2017 05:57 AM

leckie

Instead of trying to stick to straight lines and a uniform layout, fit the lights randomly but give some consideration to the distance to between each fitting.
 04 October 2017 09:54 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

AJJewsbury

How much headroom is there? A lower false ceiling might be one option - or something you occasionally see in "grand designs" type of situations is like a floating false ceiling - basically a piece of board smaller than the ceiling, suspended a few inches down, with all the downlighters fitted into that (and sometimes a bit of edge uplighting too). Turn a problem into a feature kind of thinking...
- Andy.
 04 October 2017 09:55 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

sparkingchip

One kitchen firm customer told me I would just have to cut out the roof truss ceiling joist to get the last of thirty odd lights in, despite my pointing out that it would look silly anyway being within inches of the cooker hood suspended over the central island.

When I said no, she demanded a replacement electrician.

These days I tend to firmly state limitations of positioning downlights before commencing work.

Andy B.
 04 October 2017 10:26 AM

pww235

I'd check the budget as the better looking non-retail track spots are going to blow downlights out the water on price.

Depending on ceiling height you could always go the hipster route and swag some pendants from a multi-point ceiling rose - some nice coloured or rope style cable, filament LED lamps etc.
 05 October 2017 10:12 AM

ArduinoXR

Integrated LED downlights are very slim. How much head space are you dealing with? We recently specified an integrated LED downlight which was only 36mm high for installation in a tight roof space.
 05 October 2017 03:10 PM

pww235

36mm depth on the luminaire but is that driver on-board or remote? I would expect there would be a minimum void depth requirement for heat dissipation.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.