IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: An earthing system for a 3.3kW electric vehicle charger with reference to regulation 722.411.4.1
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03 October 2017 05:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03 October 2017 05:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

chriscraig

I want to install an outdoors EV charging point and am trying to understand the regulations laid out in 722.441.4.1.

My interpretation is if I install a sufficiently low impedance earthing electrode attached to the main terminal of the device I can be connected to the PME earthing facility? or does my device need to be installed with its own TT earthing system?

The device should operate at 230V and 16A so using the guidelines this suggests an earthing system with R=6.3 Ohms.

Chris
 03 October 2017 06:26 PM

sparkingchip

It's not just the charger load, it is the installation load.

Try this.

Andy B.
 03 October 2017 10:31 PM

AJJewsbury

It's not just the charger load, it is the installation load.

Agreed - 6.29 Ohms would be right if the charger was on its own DNO supply. If it was for instance on a 100A domestic, you'd be looking at needing a reliable electrode resistance of about 1 Ohm. (Presuming the EV charger isn't the kind that increases the current drawn when faced with a reduced voltage to keep the power drawn constant, like most switch mode PSUs do ....)

TT it might be a lot easier, unless you've PME connected metalwork in the vicinity you can't alter.

- Andy.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.