Increase font size
Topic Title: Connector blocks
Topic Summary: Securing
Created On: 27 September 2017 05:01 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 27 September 2017 05:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Baldyhugh

Gents

I got talking to a guy recently and among other things he said that when using connector blocks he secures them to whatever they are housed in. For example joining neutrals or earths in the box of a light switch if using the looping method there or joining singles in a conduit box etc. A quick forum search shows a lot of people do. I must admit I have seen it done and thought in the examples above it was a bit of overkill. What do others do and is there actually a requirement? If the cables could be prone to movement then I suppose there is an arguement for it but in the back of a switch box, they ain't going too far if you ask me. I see no way of securing wagos and they are widely used as a replacement of connector blocks.

Peter
 27 September 2017 05:07 PM

dustydazzler

i remember back in the 90s there was a bit of a 'thing' about what is the best practice for floating connectors in back boxes.
in the end some sparks in my area started to superglue the connector to the back of the box. I myself never did glue the connector strips to the back box as it seemed such a faff not to mention sticking your fingers together quite often
 27 September 2017 05:16 PM

Alcomax

It was and maybe still is a NICEY thing.......along with such gems from earlier times such as, "you have to sup bond any metal work in the bathroom including the window frame".
 27 September 2017 05:35 PM

JZN

Yes I agree with Alcomax. It seems to have been another short-lives and mostly pointless regulation invention by the NIC. I've never come across a wago or con-block fixed in a back box or patress. I've certainly never bothered to fix them myself either. If you need to fault find or make changes in the future it's certainly easier if you can pull them out.
 27 September 2017 07:18 PM

daveparry1

I agree with all the above, I never fix them unless of course there's vibration issues, eg machinery or motors etc. in which case a cable tie or two will do the trick!
 27 September 2017 07:36 PM

Pacific

I usually secure them when its a full strip in a J701, otherwise never bother
 28 September 2017 10:03 AM

Zoomup

Those nice outdoor weatherproof Wago boxes can come with a fixed terminal strip that is not left just floating around in the box. Quite often I discard the fixing bracket thingy as it takes up a lot of room. I can't see the need to fix the connectors, unless as has already been stated there is a vibration risk.

Z.
 28 September 2017 10:22 AM

daveparry1

Same here Zoom, the bracket takes up too much room in the box and makes cable fitting awkward.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.