Increase font size
Topic Title: Conduit Outlet Box - use of
Topic Summary:
Created On: 21 September 2017 06:53 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 21 September 2017 06:53 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

pjorg

Dear All,

An issue has arisen following an inspection in a hazardous area - classed as Zone 2.

The Appleton type conduit outlet boxes (GR series) have been used as junction boxes and contain now terminations using wire nuts. This contradicts the use of the box by the manufacturers data sheet which explains its functions.

Am I correct in the opinion of the readers to raise this as an Ex fail as it is now not in compliance with the manufacturers data sheet.

The client is rejecting the failure of this item as it is extensive, and could potentially cost huge monies to rectify.

Or am I being pedantic over nothing........

Thanks kindly......................
 21 September 2017 09:04 AM

tomgunn

What situation is it fixed? Is it for fire hazard, IP / other?

-------------------------
Tom.... (The TERMINATOR).

handyTRADESMAN

Castle Builders
 21 September 2017 05:33 PM

weirdbeard

Hi! I have zero knowledge of hazardous areas connections, but I looked up these type gr conduit outlets and found this from Appleton, which says in applications they provide access for maintenance, which would presumably be checking connections within rather than inspecting unjointed cables to see if they are about to catch fire?

http://www.emersonindustrial.c...r-grf-cob-appleton.pdf

-------------------------
:beer)
 21 September 2017 07:29 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Fm

Thanks to weird ears for the link

The manufacturer sells a means of terminating cables, so advise them of that and provide rectus protectus
 22 September 2017 02:24 AM

pjorg

Thanks for the reply's, I contacted Appleton and the box that has been used is not acceptable in areas where the IEC is being followed - it can be used in N. America with connections as the NEC is the governing standard.
The client wants to follow the IEC however to comply fully a complete re-education from engineering thru to management needs to take place. The Ex competencies are zero.
The conduit outlet box is not certified therefore its an Ex fail, problem is client will most likely take no action.
 22 September 2017 06:58 AM

Jaymack

Originally posted by: pjorg
Thanks for the reply's, I contacted Appleton and the box that has been used is not acceptable in areas where the IEC is being followed - it can be used in N. America with connections as the NEC is the governing standard.

What was the applicable standard at installation time?

The conduit outlet box is not certified therefore its an Ex fail, problem is client will most likely take no action.

And possibly jeopardise insurance cover?

Regards
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.