Library and Archives
Library and Archives - Archive Office Now Relocated to Savoy Hill House
Decrease font size
Increase font size
February 7, 2014
Archive Office Now Relocated to Savoy Hill House

The IET's new Archive Centre is due to open to members and the public at the end of February. Visitors to the Archive Centre will need to arrange the timing of their visits in advance to allow time for the retrieval of collections from offsite storage (further details regarding visiting arrangements will appear on the library and archives pages of the IET website in due course). The core collections will be stored onsite with the remaining collections stored in a specialist facility in Oxfordshire - these collections will be retrieved as and when required for consultation by researchers. 

The new Archive Centre comprises an archive office, where staff and researchers will be located, and a strongroom which will hold the IET's core collections including rare books and items temporarily retrieved from offsite storage. 

The move of the archive office from its temporary home at Michael Faraday House in Stevenage is now complete and planning is underway for the transfer of the ‘permanent' collections into the strongroom at Savoy Hill House. 

In the last days at the old home of the archives in Savoy Place three pictures of Savoy Hill House were discovered and given to the archives team. It is rather fitting that these three framed pictures now adorn the walls of the new Archive Centre in Savoy Hill House. The pictures, all taken from the same viewpoint, are reproduced below and show; Savoy Hill House in 1926 (a caption describes the picture as the BBC building from the time when the BBC was based at Savoy Hill House); again in 1949 showing the bomb damage to one corner of the building; and finally in 1966 with the bomb damage repaired and the corner of the building rebuilt. 

 

Savoy Hill House - October 1926 (archive reference IET/SPE/1/19/1)

  

 

Savoy Hill House - January 1949 (archive reference IET/SPE/1/19/2)

  

 

Savoy Hill House - June 1966 (archive reference IET/SPE/1/19/3)

 

 



-------------------------
Jon Cable
Assistant Archivist
The Institution of Engineering and Technology

   

    Posted By: Jonathan Cable @ 07 February 2014 08:58 AM     Archives  

FuseTalk Standard Edition - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.