Topic Title: Main bonding
Topic Summary:
Created On: 15 November 2016 09:57 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 19 November 2016 05:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

AJJewsbury

Well, I cross bond 10mm2 single core insulated conductors between service pipework by crimping two 10mm2 conductors together in a 10mm eyelet crimp with a 25mm2 conductor hole.

I suspect Geoff has in mind the situation where extraneous- or exposed-conductive-parts themselves form the bonding conductor....so you don't have two 10mm2 G/Ys at the same point to start with... Perhaps in a big steel building where the gas arrives at the far end - bond the structural steelwork to the MET and then bond the gas to structural steelwork.
- Andy.
 19 November 2016 05:59 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

geoffsd

That's it. Can't be a continuous conductor requirement.
 19 November 2016 06:04 PM

Legh

Originally posted by: geoffsd

Yes, but that isn't "continuous", is it?

I am questioning those who say (wrongly) that the bonding conductor must be continuous.

Well, as I understand 'continuous' is connecting two conductors permanently together, not by screw terminals, but by soldering, brazing spot welds, crimping. The idea of winding a 10mm2 conductor round the terminal screw of a BS951 bonding clip is ludicrous, just feasible with 4mm2.

Legh

-------------------------

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

de-avatared
 19 November 2016 07:06 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

geoffsd

I think you are missing the point.

If one extraneous-conductive-part is used AS the main bonding conductor for a second, then the 10sq.mm. cable will not be continuous from the second to the MET.
 19 November 2016 10:09 PM

AJJewsbury

The idea of winding a 10mm2 conductor round the terminal screw of a BS951 bonding clip is ludicrous

Actually, it fits quite easily (I just wrap it around a screwdriver shaft or something similar first, drop it into the U slot and put the screw back) . In my younger days before I discovered crimp lugs, even a single 10mm2 would be turned 180 degrees around the screw - leaving it straight so that the screw/washer pressed down lopsidedly on only one side always looked awful to me.
- Andy.
IET » Wiring and the regulations » Main bonding

<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.