Increase font size
Topic Title: estimating
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08 October 2015 06:51 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08 October 2015 06:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Sammyh20

Hi all I have recently had a few enquiries from a few larger builders.The quoting format they use is price per point,I normally just look round the properties and make a educated calculation.I live in the east Midlands and wondered if any of you out there had some ideas on what to charge per socket,led down light,switch,TV point,telephone point etc..many thanks in advance.
 08 October 2015 10:17 PM

leckie

Hello Sammy

Well lets first assume you are talking about domestics.

Next, new build or refurbs? Occupied or voids? Size of buildings? Specification level - cheap or high level? Building types - flats or houses, traditional build or timber frame? And so it goes on.

To work out a schedule of prices all this information is required.

I will help you if possible, but a lot more info is required.
 08 October 2015 10:36 PM

Cremeegg

Sammy

Personally I hate working for builders and nearly always work direct for the client - it saves so much aggravation as few clients end up on good terms with their builders but are OK with me at the end of the day. Why let the builder take a cut of your profit? - he's probably done nothing to help you and has probably only helped the plumbers and spreads make your life awkward.

Personal prejudices aside - can't you look at some jobs you've priced already on your "walk around educated guess" basis, look at what sort of property, what level of spec etc etc as Leckie has said and divide by the number of points to see what your existing price per point is.

Then you need to check if the builder considers a double socket two points or one; and is a two way switch one or two points - it can make a big difference and there are some strange interpretations out there.

I much prefer the "walk round" method but then I don't do a big enough volume of any one type/style/spec of work to get a feeling for a decent average price.
 09 October 2015 05:07 AM

Sammyh20

Hi this is a very large 4 bed house with a new 2 storey extension going on forming a very bespoke kitchen and larger ensuite bedrooms.So it will be part refurbished part new build.The finish is top end.My plan was to get the average figures per item and adjust to the accessories required as the install time stays the same.
 09 October 2015 07:23 AM

Zoomup

Originally posted by: Sammyh20

Hi this is a very large 4 bed house with a new 2 storey extension going on forming a very bespoke kitchen and larger ensuite bedrooms.So it will be part refurbished part new build.The finish is top end.My plan was to get the average figures per item and adjust to the accessories required as the install time stays the same.

"Bespoke" sounds like very time consuming. Estimate times to complete and then double that figure.

Z.
 09 October 2015 09:40 AM

tattyinengland

And certainly any kitchen related socket or switch fuse is up to twice the price of anywhere else in the house
 09 October 2015 04:18 PM

Cremeegg

Don't forget to allow extra time for installing high end accessories - a tiny scratch from a slipped screwdriver shows up on metal flat plate but doesn't on your bog standard white plastic. Check the accessory prices - I've fitted reproduction toggle light switches that were over £100 each and some fancy aged metal double sockets at over £75 a pop.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.