Topic Title: How you deal with your lady clients
Topic Summary: I never thought I'd post one like this
Created On: 06 October 2015 09:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 October 2015 07:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Zs

You are right. Social skills.

I had a chap here for four hours+ yesterday doing all sorts of things to help limit the damage and reporting back to the insurers. He came from a company called Polygon Group, property damage and restoration services.

I'll not go on about it but the house has now been treated against the ferocious moulds and spores which can occur (I have anaphylaxis to a type of mould and to red wine...tragic) and is now equipped with two massive snail shaped fans in an effort maybe to save the carpet but mostly because it turns out that the loft joists are soaked through. All getting better but I am condemned to the sofa because memory foam, once it gets soaked, is a no-no. The fab new underlay is off to the big underlay floor in the sky once it has dried out. They are paying the electricity bill for the next week, how's that for thinking of everything? Not my insurers by the way and that battle is still to come.

But what I wanted to say was that my faith is restored. This was a pleasant, polite, professional and it was a pleasure to have him in the home.

He didn't know what you know. Wow, was I on my guard. Must have been like cracking a nut with a tea-cloth for him for an hour.

We set him up a desk for the yards of forms and it took a long time. I asked if he ever went home to do it or did it in his van? Yes, if the client is obnoxious, but they are trained by Polygon to recognise that what they do involves dealing with people who are going through some kind of trauma. That's exactly what you just said UKPN and there it is in practice. Training.

Earlier this week I got on here and moaned and then cried and made a complaint. This time a stranger left with a fresh sandwich for the 2 hour drive, £20 for a drink and I'll drop a line of praise to his boss tomorrow.

It must be helluva difficult for you chaps to work out where the line is. I reckon it's right where I said a few days back...I can't remember what years they were but I'm thinking 70's. The things on telly like On the Buses and the carry on films. If we could erase those I think we'd all be in a better place.

Taking this round in a circle, I still think that the lady who complained about a compliment on LinkedIn was wrong and I am quite pleased that I still think that.

I've posted something about the electrical conversation between the chap from Polygon and I but I've separated it from this because of google searches.

Top blokes, thank you for looking after me this week.

Zs
 12 October 2015 12:04 PM

OMS

It must be helluva difficult for you chaps to work out where the line is. I reckon it's right where I said a few days back...I can't remember what years they were but I'm thinking 70's. The things on telly like On the Buses and the carry on films.

It's not difficult at all, in reality - I grew up in the 70's and 80's - we all make choices based on what we see before us.

I still hold doors open for females (and males actually) despite the usual lack of thanks or even downright aggression from some

I will walk on the road side of the pavement when walking with females - it's just something I do

I will offer to carry bags, laptops etc - not because it's needed btw, but because it's the right thing to do, to my mind

I will stand up when joined by females in any group - it's basic courtesy

I do offer the choice of seat at any table (be that meeting or dining)

It's not unusual behaviour, we all learn this our dads and his peers and other male role models - we learn it at school (or we did) - we learn it by observation of society

The line is where we choose to draw it - those who step across that line deserve the censure of their peers

Old fashioned maybe - but there again, chivalry is an old fashioned concept that appears to be sadly lacking in society of today.

To use an old fashioned idea, as males and females we are different - that doesn't mean that we aren't equal - just different.

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Let the wind blow you, across a big floor.
 12 October 2015 01:15 PM

3Wires

sorry to hear of your recent ordeal Zs. hope you feel better soon
 12 October 2015 01:17 PM

amandalewin

Originally posted by: Zs

Amanda, that's funny. I'm a little bit jealous because I'm sad to say that the last time I overheard the lads on site talking about me all they were saying is ' yeah, she's cool, but she don't take any sh1t'.

I slipped back out of the door and went back in shouting hello and stomping about a bit

Zs

Ha! well I think I would prefer that!

On a side note I'm in need of a plumber in the Manchester/Salford area, if anyone can recommend someone good who doesn't have a 6 month waiting list please PM me

Amanda

'At some point we all must chose between what is right and what is awesome'
 12 October 2015 01:24 PM

amandalewin

Originally posted by: OMS

The line is where we choose to draw it - those who step across that line deserve the censure of their peers

Old fashioned maybe - but there again, chivalry is an old fashioned concept that appears to be sadly lacking in society of today.

To use an old fashioned idea, as males and females we are different - that doesn't mean that we aren't equal - just different.

Regards

OMS

I'm going to say something controversial here but gosh the Northerners have such lovely manners. Compared to the self centered commuters in the south. It's not just an older person thing either (sorry OMS ) the lads all have lovely manners too.

Certainly not saying the south lacks manners but it's a different life up here.

Amanda

'At some point we all must chose between what is right and what is awesome'
 12 October 2015 01:56 PM

OMS

It's not just an older person thing either (sorry OMS ) the lads all have lovely manners too.

Indeed - I've not always been this age, Amanda - I was a Lad myself just a little while back - my manners have always been the same

I use the phrase "old fashioned" not in the sense of only old(er) people have manners, that's not true - there are plenty of ignorant barstewards collecting the pension - more in the sense that the concept is a little old fashioned - even if it's found in young people

regards

OMS

12 October 2015 02:13 PM

TimJWatts

Hi Z's,

Having had some experience of damp, might I recommend hiring a dehumidifier too. In conjunction with the fans it will speed the drying out process considerably.

Good luck getting everything sorted.

Tim
 12 October 2015 07:52 PM

Paradigm

Originally posted by: OMS

I still hold doors open for females (and males actually) despite the usual lack of thanks or even downright aggression from some

I will walk on the road side of the pavement when walking with females - it's just something I do

I will offer to carry bags, laptops etc - not because it's needed btw, but because it's the right thing to do, to my mind

I will stand up when joined by females in any group - it's basic courtesy

I do offer the choice of seat at any table (be that meeting or dining)

It's not unusual behaviour, we all learn this our dads and his peers and other male role models - we learn it at school (or we did) - we learn it by observation of society

Regards

OMS

Your post made me smile Omsie, not because of the actions you do but for how you referred to women, as females.

I have an ongoing dispute with a college lecturer whom I am training with for using that term as she says its offensive and I should use the term woman, or women.

In fact some females/women do find the former term offensive for some reason, its beyond me but I just had a mental picture of said lecturer reading your very pro-equality post and jumping up and down about it.

I might just show her it on Thursday

Best

Nick

"be careful of what you write"
 12 October 2015 08:38 PM

leckie

People take offence easily sometimes.

What needs to be remembered is the difference between content and intent.
 12 October 2015 08:44 PM

OMS

Originally posted by: Paradigm

Your post made me smile Omsie, not because of the actions you do but for how you referred to women, as females.

As I did, men, males

I have an ongoing dispute with a college lecturer whom I am training with for using that term as she says its offensive and I should use the term woman, or women.

I do, generally - but again, I guess she is the kind of politically correct lunatic that disagrees with phrases like "female toilets" , prefers unisex ones and probably is the one giving me a scowl if a hold the door open and undermine her ability to make choices and do it herself

In fact some females/women do find the former term offensive for some reason, its beyond me but I just had a mental picture of said lecturer reading your very pro-equality post and jumping up and down about it.

OK - I can't say I've ever come across a woman offended by the term "female" - I've upset a few by mentioning "blue jobs" and "pink jobs" in terms of the end of the day loading of the dishwasher and doing the search and lock up of the office, but no one is perfect, least of all me

There again, she might just find not me particularly "pro-equality" either - but I can't say I care particularly

I might just show her it on Thursday

LoL - go for it, you can mention a totally unreconstructed male who just happens to be courteous - and I'll probably still hold the door open for her, even if she is so shallow as to be seething inside

Best

And you

Nick

OMS

12 October 2015 09:36 PM

mapj1

Ah now, I managed to upset someone recently by addressing the crowd as
"Chaps and Chapesses" .

Equally oddly, a short time later it was compensated by someone else saying the upset person was being unreasonable.

Some folk are hard to please. Equally I do find carry on films funny, but I can tell its not real, in the same way you can watch "Who framed Roger Rabbit?" and come away not believing it's a good idea to drop a piano on someone's head, or run over them with a steam roller.
I've recently been told that Thunderbirds wasn't real either, which if I'm honest I had actually suspected for a while.

regards Mike
 12 October 2015 10:03 PM

Zs

So pleased to see you digressing. Life is back to normal then?

Well there it is...I refer to myself as a lady most often. I don't really like woman or female but I do use them both if the context calls for it. TBH it doesn't really matter does it? Nick, it is about how a person sees themself isn't it? Surely as a counsellor you are called on to reflect how a person sees themself? OK, maybe I read too many books about human interaction and stuff, I'll get me coat. Brucie refers to herself as a female and we all think highly of her.

I think you know my name so I reckon I'm not in breach of my own security here...I arrived at the list X facility this morning for one of my last days there for the foreseeable. Just tomorrow to go. The guy who runs the facility was up having a natter with my boss. Facility guy smiled broadly and said ' It's Sal the Gal' at exactly the same time as my boss said 'The lady's here'. I love my boss

Yes, OMS does do everything that he describes above and he knows that I have noticed all of them. If you chose to adopt one then might I recommend the walking on the road-side of the pavement one?

I'm feeling miles better. I'm not very good at putting carpets back down and Zs towers is a bit wonky. I feel an afternoon with a man who calls himself the Ginger Adonis is on the cards. He's the carpet fitter and he makes me smile. Actually he makes me laugh so I look forward to it.

Yes, my own de-hum is on the go and I have to tell you that it is not filling as fast as it does in a house with new wet plaster. But it will be a week tomorrow.

That light fitting is still tripping the RCD though and it makes a hell of a noise before it gives way. I'll get round to it...give me six months.

Zs
 12 October 2015 10:25 PM

TimJWatts

Originally posted by: Zs

Yes, my own de-hum is on the go and I have to tell you that it is not filling as fast as it does in a house with new wet plaster. But it will be a week tomorrow

Zs

They are the greatest invention since sliced bread - I stick one in the shed[1] and run it for 30 hours once a week. Pulls about a gallon out! Seeing if I can get through this winter with less rust on the tools!

[1] Fairly air tight shed by shed standards.

Rest of the time it's doing the washing instead of the dryer.
 13 October 2015 07:57 AM

Zoomup

Originally posted by: TimJWatts

Hi Z's,

Having had some experience of damp, might I recommend hiring a dehumidifier too. In conjunction with the fans it will speed the drying out process considerably.

Good luck getting everything sorted.

Tim

Opening all of the doors and windows to let a nice through draught through the house on a dry day helps enormously as well, with no fans on or de-humidifier. Just use those at night.

Z.
 13 October 2015 12:57 PM

gel

Originally posted by: normcall

I believe that BG is owned by Crapita and few are directly employed.

Like most large organisations, they really have no idea what their sub-contractors are really like - particularly in an emergency. Perhaps they should be told.

not connected with Crapita; they own (set up) Gas Safe.
BG owned by Centrica.

Gel__Big Brother is here
 13 October 2015 01:47 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: amandalewin
I'm going to say something controversial here but gosh the Northerners have such lovely manners. Compared to the self centered commuters in the south.

Certainly not saying the south lacks manners but it's a different life up here.

It certainly is different.
I spent several weeks last year working in Lancashire.
The air seems fresher and the pies are better.
IET » Wiring and the regulations » How you deal with your lady clients

<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.