Topic Title: How you deal with your lady clients
Topic Summary: I never thought I'd post one like this
Created On: 06 October 2015 09:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07 October 2015 01:32 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

stateit

I've had the verbal side of this once on a call to sheltered housing.

The two female carers (one live-in, the other passing the time) were downstairs where I was working in the kitchen whilst the cared-for was bed-ridden upstairs.

The first 'flirty' comment, though unusual (I don't normally receive such comments), was just about acceptable. But it carried on, culminating with a comment along the lines of 'Will you take payment in kind?'.

The whole process of working there was downright uncomfortable, off putting and effing out of order.

I walked away from there feeling really drained and ***** off.

So for a couple of hours I was able to get a sense how bloody demeaning this type of 'banter' is.

-------------------------
S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 07 October 2015 07:44 PM

davidwalker2

Zs
Don't feel like poo, you have done the right thing to report it.
It is unlikely that this was the first time he did this sort of thing - and possibly much more. You were able to deal with it, others might not be so capable, no doubt that man is dangerous.
David
 07 October 2015 08:37 PM

BrucieBonus

Zs

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience, sounds f##king horrible - but you 100% did the right thing - people like this man HAVE to know that this behavior is completely unacceptable. And you had the guts to send him that message.Well done.

Out of this, there is a silver lining though..... the likes of you and me (being of of the female persuasion) will never be short of work from lone females - all thanks to your BG idiot. I know it shouldn't be like this, and the vast majority of tradesman aren't, but if I had a quid for the number of times I'm told 'so glad to have a woman in the house' I'd be able to retire...

Take care

BB xx
 07 October 2015 09:00 PM

Dipzy

Hi Zs, hope all is well? You definitely did the right thing reporting the clown from BG.
 07 October 2015 09:28 PM

Nospark

Absolutely right to report him. And thankfully not all tradespersons like that. Yet it does dismay me on a far to a regular basis the amount of times I hear racist, homophobic, sexist, misogynistic, and practically any other prejudice you can think of in the work place. And to often something isn't said, me included, due to fear of a neanderthal knuckle flying my way...
 07 October 2015 10:17 PM

Zs

We beat each other up for our incompetence.

We argue, we fight, we disagree.

Sometimes we get to the bottom of something and we help each other to get it sorted. But not of course before we have done the above.

But check out this thread. When the going gets tough this is the most extraordinary place in which to have your real and virtual friends.

Amazing, thank you. We're there for each other aren't we? It ranges from how to wire up a two-way light switch to things like this.

Heartfelt thank you.

I won't reveal senders but I have two PMs today. Both beautifully penned and thank you. One of them had this
link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oMD7z9_X5U

It came on at a track called don't forget to breathe and the artist is called Alexi Murdoch. Acoustic. I love it.

As for the man concerned. All I am going to know in the future is that he has been spoken to. They're going to let me know that. Of course he will work out who I am and my number is in his phone so I'm a little nervous but I reckon this is the end of it. The relevant director is away at the moment and it will be in a week. I have to hand it to Dyno Plumbing for a truly professional response to this.

My Dad, (retired electrical engineer)said something to me a while back which resonates on this subject. They have a deck house in Emsworth to which I escape from time to time. He said that if he is walking along the coastal line and a pretty lady is walking the other way he feels that he cannot say good morning to her because of the world in which we live these days. He just nods. I absolutely promise you that you are allowed to say good morning. You are allowed to say you look great, you are allowed to say loads of things but simply remember that you are not allowed to tell us that we can carry your balls or stupid, mindless, brainless and, to be frank offensive stuff.

If it comes from your heart,say it and Brucie and I will take the time to stop and thank you.

If it comes from a carry on film or has shades of Benny Hill; Control, Alt, Delete.

Thank you. Anyone know why my upstairs lights are tripping that switch in my fuse box? Slowly drying out here.

Zs
 07 October 2015 11:30 PM

Dipzy

Zs been meaning to call you, need to discuss something and just need your reassurance that I'm going in the right direction.
 08 October 2015 07:45 AM

rogerbryant

Just remember that if you have a problem someone else is also going to have a problem unless something is actually reported/done.

My younger daughter had a problem at the baggage check at Heathrow T2. She complained through the normal channels and was ignored/brushed aside/laughed at. She then started a twitter campaign which fairly rapidly reached higher management levels. At this point she received an apology and her belongings are being returned to her along with a £60 voucher for the duty free shop. They obviously knew that the correct procedures were not being followed, but it took a public campaign to make them admit it!

Best regards

Roger
 08 October 2015 10:27 AM

TimJWatts

Good from me too. This is not a "bit of banter" - this is potential assault. Hope he gets fired - totally unfit to be on his own with customers.

Just to say that not all plumbers are bad. I do some of my own plumbing, but draw the line at fiddling with old stuff, expecially when it cannot be neatly isolated (it never ends well for me!). Had a couple of GasSafe chaps in. The boss has a 2.1 degree in English. Whilst somehow, that seems an unlikely scenario for someone who switched to plumbing, I will say this:

A politer pair of chaps you have never met. Not only that, they took their time, listened to me, where quite happy to have a sensible discussion about flushing chemicals and did a fantastic job. Guess who gets to replace the boiler when it dies in a year or two (estimated, it is 12 years old)
 08 October 2015 11:32 AM

gkenyon

Dreadful behavior. Some human beings let the rest of us down very badly indeed.

I can't begin to imagine what thoughts must be going through poor Zs mind, but one that sticks out to me in reading this thread, is her worrying about "ruining someone else's career".

Well, surely they did that for themselves? Please try not to feel too bad about that particular bit, Zs.

EUR ING Graham Kenyon CEng MIET TechIOSH
G Kenyon Technology Ltd

Web-Site: www.gkenyontech.com
 09 October 2015 11:10 AM

stevechrry

Hi Zs
In my mind this is the type of idiot that wolf whistles at women from scaffolding. Reporting this incident is of course the correct and proper thing to do. Hopefully this will prevent him from offending future customers and keep our industry free from people like this.
Rest assured (with any luck) that the only thing he can grab now with his sweaty palms is a dole check.
Regards
Steve
P.S How is the Fender and Gibson?. One day when the children have left I can trade my aging Squire and buy a proper one like yours lol :-)
 09 October 2015 02:03 PM

amandalewin

Hi Zs, I hope you are ok now. I would be really upset if that happened to me. It's one thing to overhear an inappropriate comment about your bottom when visiting site, but you should not have to put up with that in your own home. I know you shouldn't have to put up with it on site either but in the lads defense they didn't realise I had come back to retrieve my notebook!

You certainly did the right thing, people like that can't be left to carry on.

Amanda

'At some point we all must chose between what is right and what is awesome'
 09 October 2015 04:42 PM

BillI

Hello Zs,

You did the right thing about that man but I'm sorry you needed to.

What puzzles me is why didn't you fix it yourself?

Bill
 09 October 2015 07:59 PM

Zs

A plumbing disaster Billl. I might be able to hack it and believe me I wish I had. But not really my bag so I have insurance cover for emergency plumbing jobs.

Zs
 09 October 2015 08:35 PM

jack23438

Unfortunately, this kind of behaviour, mindset and attitude is still quite prevalent, especialy on site work. I am the same age as as you Zs and have worked with people, who in there younger days wouldn't have seen any problem with this kind of situation, but now they have daughters who are now grown/growing up, and god forbid if any male make a pass, wolf whistles, lears or make any sexual remarks towards there own flesh and blood.
You did the right thing, this man is in a position of trust, working in peoples homes, he is not be trusted.
 09 October 2015 08:54 PM

BillI

Zs,

Judging by your writings here I'm sure you could do it - unless there were lead or galvanised pipes involved.

Anyway I'm glad it's all sorted out now. Time to forget and think of other things.

Bill
 09 October 2015 10:26 PM

Zs

Amanda, that's funny. I'm a little bit jealous because I'm sad to say that the last time I overheard the lads on site talking about me all they were saying is ' yeah, she's cool, but she don't take any sh1t'.

I slipped back out of the door and went back in shouting hello and stomping about a bit

Zs
 09 October 2015 11:11 PM

UKPN

The tragedy of this situation is of course that the BG/Dyno Rod employee failed his customer at the first hurdle. Already two and a half hours late, unable to locate the address although carrying with him technology beyond belief, he does not take ownership of the call which could if allowed to continue flood the house.

It was instilled in us at an early age on the LEB to look after our customers and others involved. While a water leak is not life threatening like many power issues, the customer looks to us to take control of their problem large or small. The customer is likely to be distressed, panic and worried about the outcome. In this scenario Zs
took the lead with offering to carry some parts, and the fitter was frivolous and did not inspire his customer. In fact the opposite, rediculous comments and inappropriate behaviour which actually set the simple task back. The customer needs to feel confidence from visitors to their home and to know their problem, which at first can seem insurmountable to them in the early stage is going to be resolved quickly.

In this case the fitter was out of his depth customer relation wise and very likely trade wise.

In conclusion Zs was unsatisfied with the service she received and was correct in reporting this matter.

Regards, UKPN.
 10 October 2015 07:03 AM

normcall

It was instilled in us at an early age on the LEB to look after our customers and others involved.

You hit it one. I was with EEB and the nationalised industries may have had faults, but the training was customer oriented rather than profit oriented. In a service industry, this should be part of the training but sadly get missed in pursuit of the 'mighty dollar'.

Norman
 10 October 2015 08:12 AM

Zoomup

Mornin UKPN and Norman, you are both right. Us self employed electricians must be customer focused or we lose work. Being self employed means that our customers come first before our personal convenience. We are called at all times of day and night, within reason, to reassure and help out where possible. At the very least we are available at the end of the phone line to offer advice.

Some employees do need to respect their customers more, and need good training to achieve this. Unfortunately in this new modern society where we all use first names, no titles which the older folk expect, we seem to have lost the respect that customers appreciate.

I keep a respectable professional distance away from all of my customers, male or female. I am polite and caring. I get lots of repeat business.

John Cleese once made training videos about correct customer service. They were funny and effective. I am sure that the yanks have made hundreds of training videos about treating your customers correctly as well.

Back to school with the lot of you, you rude crass tradesmen. To the others, I salute you.

Bye,

Z.
IET » Wiring and the regulations » How you deal with your lady clients

<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.