Topic Title: SKILLED ELECTRICIANS
Topic Summary: An endangered species?
Created On: 03 August 2015 08:34 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 5 6 7 8 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 16 August 2015 08:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

leckie

Sorry, your missing the point. You don't have to teach these communication skills. If you are a trainer, you have to create an environment where the young person can feel comfortable and in a position to open up and grow up. Not at college, at work. This does not mean being a soft touch. Think how you brought up your own kids. Strict parameters and discipline, motivation, understanding, consideration and thought. Apply the same to your trainees and you have half a chance. I have trained many young people since the early eighties up until about eight years ago. They are nearly all sought after electricians. Some are now approaching fifty years of age.
 16 August 2015 09:07 PM

leckie

Blimey BOD, Kevin the teenager! Well there's a lot of truth in that.

As an aside for all to consider......

Every generation thinks the following lot are rubbish and layabouts. The layabouts think the old fogeys don't understand. Well here's a thought, don't tarnish all kids as being useless, some will surprise you.

How come people with kids of between 15-21 think that all kids are ***** apart from their own little darlings that are invariably perfect? It's because we give the benefit of the doubt to our own kids. Perhaps we should do the same with other kids that are trying.

If you apply a little logic Darwinian theory would suggest the human race is getting fitter and stronger, mentally as well as physically. So why does everyone that is older think that the following generation is getting more useless? Well of course they are not.

Edited: 16 August 2015 at 09:13 PM by leckie
 16 August 2015 10:22 PM

mapj1

There are indeed many sensible and excellent teenagers out there - I help with scouts and see/ have seen many over time, and I agree, nearly all turn into sensible contributing adults - but part of that is developing the ability to self organise and to find information and communicate it with others. This is really an ability that really needs to be in place long before learning a complex subject.
I don't think it is unreasonable to expect this.
There are however several trends to be seen. Hikes are now shorter than in the 1990s, as your average youngsters are less able in that, and they are more likely to need teaching how to light a fire - but oddly often better with cooking than their forebears. Also, despite the stereotype, in my experience many parents are well aware of the shortcomings of their own brood, and many can in fact be unreasonably critical.

-------------------------
regards Mike
 16 August 2015 11:48 PM

sparkingchip

Perhaps all electricians should gain Scout badges rather than a NVQ.

Andy

Mind you it looks like you can get the badge without speaking to anyone if you do the mobile phone and Internet option!
 16 August 2015 11:54 PM

sparkingchip

Maybe it's time to revisit the original post and write a list of the skills that make someone a skilled electrician.

Andy
 17 August 2015 06:58 AM

Nigelcowley

Good point Andy a list
Basic fitting skills ie ability to use a drill, hammer. Measuring and marking out, tap, die, nomenclature, how many can label correctly the parts of a drill bit? What happens when you strip a thread ?
Fit a helicoil that's what or drill and tap the hole a little larger.
I feel all these skills are necessary for every Electrician.
Especially when using trunking and tray and metal conduit.
But even when simply mounting a Domestic Cu many a poor use of screw and plug choice I have witnessed in my time.

Nige
 17 August 2015 09:13 AM

normcall

Screw and plug? 'no-nails' is the modern way!

Norman
 18 August 2015 08:54 AM

normcall

It's coming up to summer in Australia and it can be even hotter than here in parts. Did he say which part of Aussie land the work was?
Anyway, they wouldn't let you in, Tom.

Norman
 18 August 2015 09:32 AM

lyledunn

You know what Tom, it is interesting that you refer to the "forum that you are a member of" I know what you mean. I have got more out of this forum than thirty years membership of the NICEIC!

Regards,

Lyle Dunn
 18 August 2015 09:56 AM

tomgunn

Originally posted by: lyledunn

You know what Tom, it is interesting that you refer to the "forum that you are a member of" I know what you mean. I have got more out of this forum than thirty years membership of the NICEIC!

Well Lyle... overall its true - there are some very helpful / interesting people posting some very good info and many good replies too!

BUT... as in life there are a few idiots here as well... sadly!

Pleased to hear you too have gained a lot of information as I have done over the years!

Tom.... (The TERMINATOR).

handyTRADESMAN

Castle Builders
IET » Wiring and the regulations » SKILLED ELECTRICIANS

<< 5 6 7 8 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.