Topic Title: Switchgear for large loads
Topic Summary: Do you have a preference
Created On: 23 April 2015 11:04 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01 May 2015 09:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Zs

You two make me chuckle with your top secret language.

On the front of it OMS, not the back.

I decided that room with a big transformer and some big switchgear needed the woman's touch. Have added some potted plants and a hat stand to the relux OMS, and glitter-ball lights (not jesting, be afraid. Filed for your distance review).

On a more serious note: Am I the only one of us who doesn't (didn't) know the differences between an MCB an MCCB and an ACB etc. in terms of how they work and their capability/application/ propriety and the extra bells and whistles such as those on the drop-down list? Please tell me that you go down the list until the circuit works. I'm sat here with the Hager catalogue and in 15 years this is the first time that I understand some of their jargon. I have also today booked an appointment with SchneiderMan and have asked him to bring examples or diagrams of how the switches withstand and disconnect. 50p says he will cancel the day before because I don't think he has a forum or an OMS.

Ever learning...

Have a great Bank Holiday Weekend.

Zs
 02 May 2015 10:27 AM

OMS

Originally posted by: Zs

You two make me chuckle with your top secret language.

Ssshhhhh - be like Dad

On the front of it OMS, not the back.

Ahhh - I think those were just "protect" (he said confidently, having realised I brought them with me uncovered)

I decided that room with a big transformer and some big switchgear needed the woman's touch. Have added some potted plants and a hat stand to the relux OMS, and glitter-ball lights (not jesting, be afraid. Filed for your distance review).

The facility will be delighted I'm sure, you do not want to know how much that switchgear is costing, - not sure how we seismically qualify a glitter ball though, given that it comprises, by definition, a lot of brittle material - and make sure the hat stand is bolted down - you don't want it becoming an interaction hazard

On a more serious note: Am I the only one of us who doesn't (didn't) know the differences between an MCB an MCCB and an ACB etc. in terms of how they work and their capability/application/ propriety and the extra bells and whistles such as those on the drop-down list?

Almost certainly not - what goes on inside those "boxes" is a mystery to many - lots of us just need to use (abuse) them, not fully understand them

Please tell me that you go down the list until the circuit works. I'm sat here with the Hager catalogue and in 15 years this is the first time that I understand some of their jargon.

Well, you tend to do it the other way around - decide what you need the thing to do first and then select it to meet the protection and grading you require for the particular project - it's no different to you making a choice of Type B or C MCB's - you do it for a reason or reasons

I have also today booked an appointment with SchneiderMan and have asked him to bring examples or diagrams of how the switches withstand and disconnect. 50p says he will cancel the day before because I don't think he has a forum or an OMS.

I doubt it - you'd expect him to have good general and excellent product specific knowledge

Ever learning...

For sure

Have a great Bank Holiday Weekend.

Zs

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Let the wind blow you, across a big floor.
 03 May 2015 08:33 PM

mapj1

This is one reason why we need forum anonymity. I'm sure its not got any simpler since OS replaced R in certain circles. I solve these problems with envelopes and locking boxes of a certain standard. Luckily I don't like coffee anyway...

-------------------------
regards Mike
IET » Wiring and the regulations » Switchgear for large loads

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.