Topic Title: soundproofing and cables and decibels
Topic Summary: Questions about those two
Created On: 20 March 2015 08:39 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 21 March 2015 07:43 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sparkingchip

My worst "musical" experience was the Strawbs performing in a local small concert hall, a former Methodist chapel complete with box pews and pulpit, not the place for excessive volume.

The sound man didn't look impressed whem i suggested he should sit in various parts of the hall when setting up the system as he had spoilt the show with gentle ballards being unintelligible.

But then I'm just a miserable old git

Andy
 21 March 2015 11:34 PM

HarryJMacdonald

Do you have an iPhone? If so, there are various apps that convert it into a dB meter, but I've no idea how accurate.

Also, the only thing that reduces bass frequencies is the mass of the sound insulation. The heavier the better, but if you are not intending to have loads of heavy bass inside the shed then this doesn't matter.
 22 March 2015 12:10 AM

sparkingchip

Which all begs the question, just how loud are you planning to be in the shed?

Andy
 22 March 2015 12:14 AM

IronFreely

Originally posted by: HarryJMacdonald

Do you have an iPhone? If so, there are various apps that convert it into a dB meter, but I've no idea how accurate.

Also, the only thing that reduces bass frequencies is the mass of the sound insulation. The heavier the better, but if you are not intending to have loads of heavy bass inside the shed then this doesn't matter.

It's complete hit and miss, I had a fun afternoon trying out various phone apps and also a few hand held dB meters. The phone ones tend to need calibrating in a slilent environment before first use (this was a challenge).
We found that most phones were completely useless though most accurately measured 80dB, there were a couple of apps that were ok once calibrated using an acurate device.
All the propper ones we had gave fairly similar readings and there didn't seem much point in getting a really expensive one.
By far the least accurate was reference on the sound desk, which is my only complaint with that particular desk which was a very reliable Allen and Heath, one of the GL3000 serries, 3rd generation. Fantastic mixing consols.
 22 March 2015 07:11 PM

Zs

Great stuff but we are soo going to get told off for going off topic

But while the cat is away the mouse says a huge thank you.

I had a chat with our own Dave Z yesterday. thank you Dave. What a delightful man you are, and such knowledge. I wrote it all down while we were talking.

I found a neoprene foam supplier on-line this morning ( RH Nuttall) and I've logged a request for a price for 100m of neoprene strips or anything else they can recommend. I might have time to get them up with a stapler too, before the builder comes back.

I don't play loud but here's the nub of it. When you have lessons you are always learning to play something that you are no good at. So, if I know that my neighbours might be hearing me I play easy stuff like Rodriguez Guitar Concerto and don't make progress. Oh, alright, like Oasis. To be able to play without headphones, or to use the acoustic instead of the electrics on headphones means that it might be ok to punch above my weight. All of the right notes but not necessarily in the right places.

And,

'I had a fun afternoon trying out various phone apps and also a few hand held dB meters. The phone ones tend to need calibrating in a silent environment before first use (this was a challenge).'

Yes I do have an iPhone thingumy. I have even trained siri to refer to me as 'you gorgeous thing' whenever I ask him a random question. You remind me that one day I really ought to calibrate my spirit level app.

finding one of the dB apps now though.

If the B in dB is a capital letter, does that mean it was a man called Bell who invented the decibel? How appropriate.

I am taking all the advice offered and I'm all over it. OMS wears a lanyard round his neck that says 'right first time' on it...that'll be my shed then.

Huge thank you. Proper stressful times here because of work. I was pacing the floors at 3 am this morning ( you know how it goes). This could not have happened at a better time. I love my shed!

Zs
 22 March 2015 07:58 PM

John Peckham

Zs

You appear to be trying to breach the last redoubt of men, the shed!

-------------------------
John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 22 March 2015 08:41 PM

mapj1

was the Bel named after someone - indeed it most certainly was.
Alex., a Scottish chap who some folk think became famous for ruining his trousers apparently, or maybe not.. Oh, and telephones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L...ts_named_after_people

Note there is also the Neper, named after Mr Napier, which is an older natural log version of the dB that turns up in arcane texts that talk about kilomegacycles per second instead of GHz, and spell connexion with an 'x'

regards Mike
 22 March 2015 11:51 PM

sparkingchip

In my teens I played a cornet in the school brass band and was a piper in the Scouts pipe and drum band.

When the scouts march on parade for St Georges day we marched around the church in Redditch playing Scotland the Brave repeatedly on the pipes accompanied by the drums it was the only piece we had learnt

Happy days! I had to practice with the cows down the fields leading them around like the Pied Piper.
 23 March 2015 12:25 AM

mapj1

Can you play Over the Hills and far Away ?

Oh yes sir.

Right. Off you go then laddie, the hills are over that away..
night!

regards Mike
 23 March 2015 10:25 AM

OMS

When I was a kid, there was a big patch of open ground behind the house and an old redundant railway cutting and emankment heading through it. It was in a hollow and could be quite misty of a morning as there was a river close by.

There was an old gent who used to wander up onto the railbridge and play bagpipes early in the morning - just him and the old dog for company - he'd be a mile or more from any houses at that point

He was a Polish chap and had spent a bit of time with a regiment that used the pipes during WWII and had picked it up whilst in Italy

The sound of those pipes used to carry for a hell of a distance - Locharbor No More coming out of the mist could set the hairs on the back of the neck, for sure

Regards

OMS

Let the wind blow you, across a big floor.
 23 March 2015 01:07 PM

John Peckham

What's the difference between a set of bag pipes and an onion? Answer no one cries when you cut up a set of bagpipes.

For me the mass band of pipes and drums, " Back to Barracks with the Black Bear". Or the pipers lament, "The Crags of Tumbledown".

John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 23 March 2015 01:29 PM

impvan

From an Ivor Biggin LP:

"Hey, you down there, how much do you earn per street?"
"About 50p a street, guv'nor"
"Well here's three quid, go and play six streets away"
 23 March 2015 10:56 PM

Zs

I hope I'm not that bad.

£1.45 per metre plus vat for the neoprene strips. Ouch. I'm now thinking about cutting up car mats from the market etc.

Zs
 24 March 2015 01:01 AM

mapj1

carpet or underlay off cuts?

regards Mike
 24 March 2015 08:59 AM

AncientMariner

From Colin Grey's book, Fifty Sheds of Grey - published by Boxtree:-

"My body writhed and quivered from the pain. I had learned my next lesson. Never again would I leave an upturned plug on the shed floor."

Best to wear proper shoes I think...

Cheers!

Clive

Clive S Carver GCGI IEng MIET MITP
 24 March 2015 09:47 AM

OMS

Originally posted by: Zs

I hope I'm not that bad.

£1.45 per metre plus vat for the neoprene strips. Ouch. I'm now thinking about cutting up car mats from the market etc.

Zs

Put 50mm of celotex on the inside face of the studs and then use a soundblocker board (or 2 layers of 12mm PB) - it's the density you want to give you mass control over transmission - you could balance that with using the neoprene as a decoupling layer - but you still need as much density as you can get in the inner layer - coupled with whatever area of absorbtion you need to get the reverb times at the relevant frequencies correct

Regards

OMS

Let the wind blow you, across a big floor.
IET » Wiring and the regulations » soundproofing and cables and decibels

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.