Increase font size
Topic Title: zucchini lighting busbar
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11 February 2015 11:07 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 February 2015 11:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Devlinjames

Ok folks I have 3phase & N lighting busbar to install in a new factory and have been asked to supply each phase via a single pole mcb so that should a phase drop out (trips) I will still have 2/3 of the lights still operating! I would be in the opinion that a triple pole mcb would be required so if a fault occurs the entire circuit would drop out and the emergency lighting would come on

Anyone any thoughts on this?
Would 3 single pole mcb be acceptable if all labelled & identified correctly?
 11 February 2015 11:19 PM

prophet

Yes, it's how i'd do it.

The toss up is between is it more dangerous for the entire light track to fail plunging the place in darkness and having an unskilled person working on the installation not knowing to isolate all three phases. You wouldn't really get a novice working in places like that unsupervised and so if everythings labelled they should be fine.

Tom
 11 February 2015 11:47 PM

alancapon

To be honest, the effect would be similar to using fuses, where you would most likely only have a single fuse operate.

Regards,

Alan.
 12 February 2015 07:34 AM

dickllewellyn

Does zucchini busbar trunking have front end fuses on the live end?

I've not done any for several years, I can't remember weather there were front end fuses or not. The tap offs are usually fused if it's any help? The idea usually is to get discrimination through the tap off fuses, and the MCB feeding the busbar shouldn't ever open unless there is a fault with the busbar or the cable supplying it. If the MCB is tripping on overload then there is a design issue.

-------------------------
Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 13 February 2015 01:25 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

AJJewsbury

Since pole MCBs are fine, but you will need "at least one device" that simultaneously disconnects all the line conductors (reg 559.6.2.3) - as I read it, that needn't be and ADS device - a simple isolator (switch disconnector) would do.
- Andy.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.