IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How much is my wifi downloading?
Topic Summary: a touch OT
Created On: 09 January 2015 08:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09 January 2015 08:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Zs

hello,

I let my neighbour Frank use my wifi password because I like him. He's on his own and misses his wife. Nice old duffer, looks after me with odd parcels containing wine and winter scarves, Basildon bond envelopes and pencils, and so on. Enjoys taking in my amazon deliveries and pops round with them the moment my lights come on in the evening, that kind of thing.

He has an iPad. I asked him not to use it to watch films etc because I get slowed down if the download is too much.

But I'm proper slowed down these days.

Sometimes, if I am on line when Frank logs on, I see a little alert on screen. But I wonder if my slow down is because he has discovered iPlayer or something and is downloading loads of Miss Marple in the afternoons. I'd quite like to know, on the quiet, if the Frank usage is growing.

I have found this site but not desperately keen to download something else onto my set-up.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/see...your-wifi-on-windows/

Anyone have any suggestions or knowledge of this software or an easy way of finding out? I'd rather know before I talk to him about it in case my computer slowing down has been caused by something else. We like Frank by the way.

Sorry a bit OT. My excuse is that your customers might like to learn about this and so might you if you have kids with ipads. Weak excuse I know, but I hope one or two of you know about this.

Zs
 09 January 2015 08:51 PM

Manxie

Poor frank
Upgrade your service!
Stop being so mean, have some consideration the poor fella now has slow internet service
 09 January 2015 08:51 PM

geov

Zs, sorry, don't have a clue to be able to answer your question (but I'm sure there will be someone along soon who will .

I have yet to read a post from you that doesn't give me pause for thought, a smile and sometimes a laugh! Have you considered becoming a published author? (Or is this the point you tell me you already are ).

Regards.
 09 January 2015 08:58 PM

sparkingchip

BT? Is your supplier reselling your connection to other people?

Andy
 09 January 2015 09:02 PM

Manxie

I have a friend who used to use his neighbors wi fi..
For some reason he owed his neighbor £40.00
He never paid him the money then one day he couldn't use his wifi.
Only network available was a secured one called 'forty pound'
 09 January 2015 09:03 PM

paulskyrme

Zs,
You should be able to get all the data you need from your Router/Modem/whatever they call it, enough to see what is happening.
If you need to ask him about anything, tell him that you have had issues and you need the MAC addresses of his devices, then MAC lock them to IP's and MAC lock everything then you are fine.

PM/EMail if you need to.
 09 January 2015 09:04 PM

keylevel

Which router do you use? The decent ones allow you to see how much data is being transferred - if you post the make and model back, I'll see what I can find out...
 09 January 2015 09:13 PM

allaway

What is your actual connection speed? That will be a guide as to whether his downloading is throttling yours.

The other possibility is that you are both using the WiFi connection and sharing that which creates a bottleneck.
 09 January 2015 09:13 PM

stateit

Possible solution: Does your router broadcast 2.4Mhz and 5 Ghz? (Dual band)

If so it's a more recent router.

If so you should be able to allocate a 'Guest WiFi' SSID (name). Give Frank access to 'Guest' to the 2.4MHz band (goes through walls) and you use the 5GHz (doesn't go through walls as well, but is faster).

You'll be doing yourself a favour as well, as the 5GHz bandwidth is better for things more broadband (old copies BS7671 you may wish to download, YouTube Guitar tutorials etc ).

With a more recent router you should be able to cap the 'Guest' bandwidth so it doesn't stifle your enjoyment, and still provide Frank with a decent bandwidth.

BTW, I live in 10Mbps land (in the sticks). Most of my customers are on 40Mbps. They still swear about their broadband being slow.

in which case it's a matter of choosing channels correctly that don't compete with your neighbours.

If you've a smartphone/tablet, download 'Wi-Fi Analyzer' and then Google (Bing/Whatever) 'Optimise wifi channels'. With that app and that advice you can fine-hone your broadband for PC and mobile devices.

Good luck. You'll lose a few hours guitar practice though...

-------------------------
S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 09 January 2015 09:39 PM

Zs

Ah Manxie, that's exactly why I am asking as is happens. Not rich, but hopefully not tight. I pay about £35 a month for the broadband at the moment (virgin media with no download limit but they do slow you down if you are naughty). I'd upgrade it by £20 a month or so if I knew the reason for the slow down was to do with usage. It might not be. I'm asking because I do not want to ask Frank to stop watching Miss Marple, but I sure don't want to line Virgin's pockets unnecessarily.

geov. Thank you. You just made me smile so wide that I fear my face has broken. Send bandages. I so hope that OMS sees your post, because he tries to get me to use words like 'contemporaneous' and I have to go look them up first. In fairness he did just recently say I could put something into 'Zs speak' and then my boss asked me to send someone an email in 'your inimitable manner' so maybe, just maybe, the company machine is getting used to me?

A bit published, but way back and nothing special until I finish this novel and send it off. I just delayed a trip to Lewis and Shetland to work on it because of money but watch this space... an elderly Aunt just unwittingly funded the trip with a random cheque in advance of her not being here. I am stunned but I'm going to check she is OK with a garret in the Outer Hebrides for a month and re book.

OMS, I'm taking a month off with no internet or telephone. Tell the machine. I'm off to Shetland with a guitar and an A4 pad.

Meanwhile, I'd really like to sort out this broadband glitch. hold your breath I hit the send button ages ago. Is it tomorrow yet?

Zs
 09 January 2015 09:40 PM

Zs

I'm looking things up for the other replies... back in a bit
 09 January 2015 09:43 PM

impvan

Agree with the above... see if you can set your router with a 'guest' account.

I have the same scenario with my neighbour...they only use the computer for email and a rare skype to foreign relatives on birthdays, so it's just not worth them having their own internet.

They can happily camp on my 4Meg Guest connection in return for a bottle of Caol Isla and a bara brith once a year.
 09 January 2015 09:47 PM

Zs

I can see his IP address if he logs on when I am at the computer. I could block it at that point but I will not do that.

Keylevel, the router is called a Virgin Media Super Hub and it looks to be made by Netgear.

I will edit this in a bit, just trying to find out what my connection speed is.... according to a gizmo on the web Download at this moment 36.27 and upload 2.16 I have no idea what those mean.

My package is for a 30mb.

now going back to check the next question. back soon

...Oh, now I'm right stuck. Stateit, how do I find out what my router broadcasts? I've tried to find that out form my account but nada.

Posting this at 22.02 exactement.

Edited: 09 January 2015 at 10:04 PM by Zs
 09 January 2015 10:07 PM

hifly

do you know your Contention ratio is?, you may find a few extra households have joined your group and your connection is slowing at peak times

Vince

"If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat."

http://www.ruttslanecider.co.uk/products
 09 January 2015 10:18 PM

keylevel

Looks like it doesn't make the "useful info" available easily (if at all).

However, guest accounts are supported - see here.

Those connection stats should be ok - unless he's hosting a web site
 09 January 2015 10:28 PM

Zs

I don't know what that means to be honest hifly, but a forum called Digital Spy tells me that my provider should not be higher than 50:1

My neighbours seem to use their real names on their wifi connetions. I am a number of course but I can see all their names on the available wifi list. All BT or Sky so I doubt there is an issue with sharing.

it is 22.27 hitting the button...

Zs
 09 January 2015 10:36 PM

AncientMariner

Manxie

Nice one!

Just Google funny ssid and you will likely spill your coffee on your keyboard.

An example: Yesterday I changed the name of my wifi to "Hack if you can" Today it was called "Challenge Accepted"

http://www.quora.com/What-are-...-names-you-have-heard

Mind your coffee...
Cheers!

Clive

Clive S Carver GCGI IEng MIET MITP
 09 January 2015 10:47 PM

Zs

Despite everything else to sort out AM.. I am so going to re name my wifi now. Brilliant link . Off to think about it.

Zs
 10 January 2015 12:00 AM

mapj1

There is a good chance one of your neighbours routers has popped up on your radio channel, and the two spend a lot of time saying 'scue me' and 'sorry' to each other rather than actually broadcasting useful data. Unless you know it speeds up when Frank is out of the house, then there are plenty of other explanations to eliminate.
The radio channel can be forced when you log into that router as admin
try http://192.168.1.1 and see if you get a welcome screen from the processor inside your router.
If not, assuming you run some flavour of microsoft windows, then at a DOS prompt type IPconfig, and tell us what you see, and we can take you hacking your own network. Perhaps by PM rather than forum wide.

regards Mike
 10 January 2015 06:55 AM

normcall

How much you pay?
Ahh, on fibre with all the bells and whistles. At the speed you are supposed to have, you shouldn't notice a second light user.
Try www.speedtest.net and see what you actually are getting as that's the first information you need.
TBH, virgin re not the best unless you want the TV etc.
Bit like my step-father who has sky with everything at £50 month. Spends his whole time moaning there is nothing on and at Christmas he noticed that 'challenge' is on our Freeview. Why does he keep Sky> 'Because when channel 5 started we couldn't get it, so had sky'! I suspect Virgin, I've yet to find out how you actually cancel Sky.

Norman
IET » Wiring and the regulations » How much is my wifi downloading?

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.