IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: what the hell is green deal??
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09 December 2011 05:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 30 June 2013 10:55 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

keylevel

BBC report that four people have signed up in six months.
 30 June 2013 11:57 AM

jcm256

From one of the sites you put on today, shows two energy assessors in their wedding suits measuring draughts' under the door, in their socks, looks like an easy job, but who is it pays them for doing this if the client don't take up the lifetime payback loan. Hope they do not step back into the dog bowls.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/envi...ciency-wall-insulation
 30 June 2013 12:31 PM

John Peckham

To answer the question posed. A very expensive way to borrow money!

-------------------------
John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 30 June 2013 02:34 PM

daveparry1

I'd put the "green deal" in the same rubbish box as solar panels, (in a domestic scene at least!)

Dave.
 23 July 2015 07:15 PM

jcm256

23 July 2015 07:24 PM

daveparry1

I could have told them that! (my reply 30/06/13)
 23 July 2015 10:32 PM

sparkingchip

What next?

What's the next money spinner?
 08 October 2015 06:21 PM

sparkingchip

It doesn't look like being in the renewal energy and energy saving business has any future prospects with the Mark Group going into administration.

Andy

Edit - removed link

Edited: 08 October 2015 at 07:08 PM by sparkingchip
 08 January 2017 05:58 PM

jcm256

Green deal, wasn't for the lack of humble electricians telling this would cost the taxpayer considerable sums of money.
The average parliamentarian hasn't the haziest idea of what his job means or anything to do with engineering. (May bring the government executive down in one part of the UK)
Did you ever see such silliness?
The more heat you generated, the greater the subsidy you were paid.
£1m one farmer was hoping to collect over 20years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-n...reland-38301428

http://www.theecologist.org/bl...of_the_green_deal.html
 08 January 2017 06:43 PM

potential

Reading this thread from the beginning again (it goes back years) I found it enlightening and informative.
A few of our members were prepared to talk it up.
Personally I would not have touched the scheme with a bargepole.
 08 January 2017 07:54 PM

John Peckham

43p a unit for solar PV FIT was bonkers. The government was stupid in the first place to permit it and compounded the stupidity by not including a clause placing a definite time limit on the scheme so when they tried to lower the FIT they were taken to court by people enjoying the cash, the result 43p for ever.

Green deal, smart meters and Part P are all shining examples of where commercial interests were able to smooze stupid and/or naive public servants into implementing schemes that milked the tax payer. It is my view having beeen one that public servants are no match for commercial interests.

John Peckham

08 January 2017 08:00 PM

John Peckham

Another mugging is about to take place in Whitehall with a budget cost of £3.5 billion to refurbish parliament. How the hell did they arrive at that price? No doubt the finished job will cost double that with consultants milking it for all it's worth with the big contractors helping them.

John Peckham

08 January 2017 09:05 PM

Grumpy

Originally posted by: John Peckham

43p a unit for solar PV FIT was bonkers. The government was stupid in the first place to permit it and compounded the stupidity by not including a clause placing a definite time limit on the scheme so when they tried to lower the FIT they were taken to court by people enjoying the cash, the result 43p for ever.

Green deal, smart meters and Part P are all shining examples of where commercial interests were able to smooze stupid and/or naive public servants into implementing schemes that milked the tax payer. It is my view having beeen one that public servants are no match for commercial interests.

I don't want to elevate your blood pressure any further John but it was, indeed, 43p but today it's 49.43p. Index linked. Tax free. 20 years. You couldn't make it up could you?
Smart meters? What are they about? You leave your lights on all day and you use more electricity. Do you really need a ridiculously expensive meter to tell you the bleedin' obvious?
I despair, I really do.

Only dead fish go with the flow. Be a salmon!
 09 January 2017 03:30 PM

AJJewsbury

I'd agree 43p/kWh was generous (but bargain compared with 92p/kWh for nuclear from Hinkley!) - but hardly 'for ever'- it was only available to those who bought their systems when the capital costs were highest (around £10,000 for a 2-3kWp system) and then time limited to 20 years - so I doubt that anyone on that tariff is even half way to breaking even yet - any overall profits are still many years away. Plus the householder takes all the risks (if anything breaks down and the system stops generating, it's the householder that loses out, not the government - for example inverters are predicted to last only about 10 years, so there's likely an extra £1000 cost to be factored in too. It was always planed that the FIT payments would decline for new entrants as their corresponding capital costs fell (if not quite in the way it happened in the end).

Remember that the purpose of the exercise wasn't to immediately generate green electricity per se, but to establish an industry that would be able to produce cheap clean supplies in the future - one of the few government targets that was actually being met - before the current administration completely cocked it up at least.

- Andy.
 09 January 2017 04:31 PM

colinhaggett

I'd agree 43p/kWh was generous (but bargain compared with 92p/kWh for nuclear from Hinkley!)

Think your find it's 9.2 pence per KWh
 09 January 2017 04:44 PM

sparkingchip

09 January 2017 04:47 PM

dustydazzler

£490,000,000

Is that green enough
 09 January 2017 05:22 PM

OMS

Clearly a man who thinks he's acquired some principles to go with his gloss of legitimacy

OMS

Let the wind blow you, across a big floor.
 09 January 2017 06:12 PM

AJJewsbury

Originally posted by: colinhaggett

I'd agree 43p/kWh was generous (but bargain compared with 92p/kWh for nuclear from Hinkley!)

Think your find it's 9.2 pence per KW h

Oops, you're quite right (that's what comes of trying to do mental arithmatic after being awake at 3am, never mind the 'check the magnitude' thinking)

- Andy.
 11 November 2017 12:40 PM

sparkingchip

The last post was in January 2017 and apparently now in November 2017 the Green Deal is operating with private finance.

Is anyone doing anything with it?

Andy B
IET » Wiring and the regulations » what the hell is green deal??

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.