IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Over-current protection & the 'fusing factor'.
Topic Summary: Why are we using a 'fusing factor' when calculating the size of RCBOs' and circuit breakers?
Created On: 13 April 2011 03:12 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 7 8 9 10 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 29 August 2016 11:05 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sparkingchip

Reading my own posts again after five years is quite nostalgic, I wonder where I was at the time I posted and what I should have been doing?

We know RnR was on the train, to the rest of us it it a mystery.

Andy
 06 September 2016 11:40 PM

Zs

Great call weirdbeard. A perfect post in amidst the spam attack. Such memories and so evocative.

How far we have all come. Only five years? Seems like a whole career ago that I was glued to this thread and in truth not understanding most of it.

I remember reading DCs posts and seeing the obvious. I remember knowing in my gut that they were so wrong but not being able to explain why they were so wrong. Ha, a bit like the loves of my life

Not this thread really. Rather the ones on the subject of earthing and bonding. Something about peeling back a carpet and testing the earth in a proper dodgy way comes to mind with coins in a pocket and touching radiators.(???)

Well, only this morning I had a chat with the head of the defence guys I work for sometimes. About how the front line workers in there keep asking me why you might get an electric shock ( which they call electrocution) if the handrails are not bonded on the roof where the control boxes are... We are currently gearing up for the Zs presentation about why a bird can sit on a wire etc. Scary stuff for me. This remains my worst subject but hell I'll do it and I won't half be checking my facts out on here before hand.

I have to confess to believing DC911 for a while. Looking back, I know where he was with this. Ahead of me, but wrong. But I sort of know the stage in our electrical learning curve that he was at, if that makes sense? There is a turning point.

I have asked questions and made statements just as dumb on here for years. I thank you for not shooting me down in too many flames. I can just about turn an ear to my advice these days and I didn't get it from books or from being a registered electrician. I got it from reading the diverse conversations on here and then looking things up. I got it from the contacts I have made on here and I thank you.

Makes me realise how much we pack in to five years. I still wouldn't dare write a book about it.

Zs
 07 September 2016 12:20 AM

mapj1

If he had titled his book
"Disconnected (from reality)"
or "Not of this earth"
he might have got away with it.
When you do gain the confidence to write a book, I was reckoning it might be any of the following
titles still missing from the bookshelves.

" Electrons I have Lost" humorous anecdotes about hard to find faults, in a James Herriot "It Should Not Happen to a Vet" style

" The seven ages of testing" A guide to the evolution of testing from actually doing , to supervision through to contract specification"

"Let me through, I'm a Consultant" One of the inner wheels of the machine reveals how to make customers let you tell them what they already knew, and pay you well for it. Companion volume ; how I became a millionaire ovenight by someone you doubt exists.

"How to stay calm when the lights go out" A self help manual and guide to emergency fittings.

" Flying carpets and diverted currents, or why the ground is not quite flat" (with extra chapter about current loops and floating isolation from a former member of the Queens Ganja Rifles) A serious work for the student of class one equipment and ADS.

-------------------------
regards Mike
 07 September 2016 10:05 AM

OMS

"Let me through, I'm a Consultant" One of the inner wheels of the machine reveals how to make customers let you tell them what they already knew, and pay you well for it. Companion volume ; how I became a millionaire ovenight by someone you doubt exists.

Part of the trilogy that starts with:

"If you hand me your watch, I can tell you the time (for a fee)"

and

"If you aren't part of the solution, there's good money to be made prolonging the problem"

Right, I've a report that needs weighing before issue to ensure it reflects the fee I'm charging

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Let the wind blow you, across a big floor.
IET » Wiring and the regulations » Over-current protection & the 'fusing factor'.

<< 7 8 9 10 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.