Topic Title: servant bell call system
Topic Summary:
Created On: 31 March 2010 07:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 31 March 2010 07:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

chalfontsparks

hi all,,trying to rewire an old servant call bell,,,have wired the bells so they make the individual flags wave but cant suss out where to wire the sounders(bells) to,,,have 6volts in from transformer in to terminals and then common terminal feeding bell pushes that in turn come back on the switch line and turn on the flags,,but if i wire the bell into neutral and common it obviosley goes off all the time,,so where does the bell get wired into!!!!!!!!!!!
 31 March 2010 08:00 PM

intrinsic4225B

Originally posted by: chalfontsparks

hi all,,trying to rewire an old servant call bell,,,have wired the bells so they make the individual flags wave but cant suss out where to wire the sounders(bells) to

You've lost me . . . you've already wired the bells, but you can't suss out where to wire the bells to?
 31 March 2010 08:35 PM

perspicacious

"hi all,,trying to rewire an old servant call bell,,,have wired the bells so they make the individual flags wave but cant suss out where to wire the sounders(bells) to,,,have 6volts in from transformer in to terminals and then common terminal feeding bell pushes that in turn come back on the switch line and turn on the flags,,but if i wire the bell into neutral and common it obviosley goes off all the time,,so where does the bell get wired into!!!!!!!!!!! "chalfontsparks

I can recommend "Practical Electric Bell Fitting" by F.C.Allsop and published by E & F N Spon Ltd, London,

Regards

BOD

Edit to add publisher as no ISBN

Edited: 31 March 2010 at 08:46 PM by perspicacious
 31 March 2010 09:12 PM

davyn1

http://cgi.ebay.com/Practical-...=TL091010158007r17120

davy

-------------------------
just because i'm paranoid doesn't mean theyre not out to get me
 31 March 2010 09:25 PM

perspicacious

Abebooks have got some of the original editions with the fold out plates of wiring diagrams Davy

Regards

BOD
 31 March 2010 09:30 PM

perspicacious

The OP could also try "Electric Bells and all about them" by S R Bottone endorsed as a practical book for practical men (of 1889)

Regards

BOD
 31 March 2010 09:50 PM

ebee

I liked the ones with the compass type pointers. We used to make copies of them as kids.

Come to think of it I'd bet our Norman has a system or two as new still in box. Wait until about 7AM I'm sure he'll have a comment and tell you all you could ever wish to know about the subject.

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 31 March 2010 09:55 PM

rocknroll

There was another book kicking around quite a few moons down the road.

"Electric Bells and Annunciators" by somebody Schneider published in the twenties time. that covered these types of calling systems.

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 31 March 2010 11:32 PM

topmark

i refitted one a couple of weeks ago,a 4 flagged indicator box,complete with a red ,harrods tin bell.[which you couldnt hear if more than 6 feet away! still,they were happy
 01 April 2010 12:10 AM

chalfontsparks

sorry for confusion guys,,i mean ive wired the bell pushes( lovely brass push buttons) into the bellbox and they make the little red flags move but i mean where do i wire the tin bell that rings that lovley sound?
 01 April 2010 12:15 AM

potential

Originally posted by: chalfontsparks

hi all,,trying to rewire an old servant call bell,,,have wired the bells so they make the individual flags wave but cant suss out where to wire the sounders(bells) to,,,have 6volts in from transformer in to terminals and then common terminal feeding bell pushes that in turn come back on the switch line and turn on the flags,,but if i wire the bell into neutral and common it obviosley goes off all the time,,so where does the bell get wired into!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got a 12 bell-push annunciator panel fitted in my house.
They each wave a little red flag.
The bell or sounder (only one needed) is wired in series with the common connection of the solenoids of the annunciator.
 01 April 2010 09:41 AM

Jaymack

This site won't answer the OP question but a very interesting site on the history of telephones.

Regards

http://www.samhallas.co.uk/
 01 April 2010 12:46 PM

potential

To make my previous post clear.

The bell is wired in series with the wire between the indicators and the battery/transformer.
Not in the bell push wires.

i.e. the current that flows through the coil of the indicator also flows through the bell.
 01 April 2010 12:49 PM

OMS

I can recommend "Practical Electric Bell Fitting" by F.C.Allsop and published by E & F N Spon Ltd, London

The OP could also try "Electric Bells and all about them" by S R Bottone endorsed as a practical book for practical men (of 1889)

LoL - - BOD's esoteric library to the rescue again.

I never realised that there was such a demand for calling the servants - I find SMS to be much more useful

Regards

OMS

Let the wind blow you, across a big floor.
 01 April 2010 06:39 PM

impvan

Wire from transformer, through bell to the common point where you send out to the pushes.

Any given bell push makes this circuit:

Trafo - bell - push1 - flag1 - trafo.
Trafo - bell - push2 - flag2 - trafo...etc

Now, if you can suggest a way of putting new legends on the glass panel, i'd be very interested.
 01 April 2010 06:57 PM

biff55

Originally posted by: OMS

I can recommend "Practical Electric Bell Fitting" by F.C.Allsop and published by E & F N Spon Ltd, London

on the same book shelf as "fly fishing" by J.R.R. Hartley ?
 01 April 2010 09:41 PM

intrinsic4225B

Was just thinking there of the days when I used to construct similar systems, but for a very different purpose, using just relay logic, latching circuits and steering diodes!

Back to the original post - I think there is a diagram of the very circuit arrangement that everyone is trying to describe in Electrical craft Principles - Volume 1 by John Whitfield, published by the IET!
 01 April 2010 10:47 PM

rocknroll

Is this the one you mean; LOL

http://i641.photobucket.com/al...l/Bellannunciator.jpg

regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 01 April 2010 10:51 PM

intrinsic4225B

That's the very diagram, rocknroll !
 02 April 2010 03:17 PM

broadgage

As others post, the bell is normally in series with one side of the transformer, such that operating any one of the bell pushes will ring the bell.

6 volts may not be enough for the combined resistance of the bell, the wiring and the indicator.
If the bell rings only feebly, try about 8 or 9 volts.
6 wet or dry cells in series were often used, that would be about 8 or 9 volts.

Also be aware that many old systems are intended for DC from a battery and may not work correctly from a modern bell transformer which has an AC output.
IET » Wiring and the regulations » servant bell call system

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.