Increase font size
Topic Title: new colour codes for armoured cable
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03 July 2008 10:51 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03 July 2008 10:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

uksel

hi guys, i'm new to the forum, found it using google, i have a question that has been put to me which i am not 100% sure of the answer, some clarification would be really helpful

when wiring cable to the new edition of the regs, using a 3 core armoured cable for a single phase 230v installation, where the cores are coloured black, brown, grey...

which colour should be sleeved as earth?

on recent jobs at two different sites both sites have use different colours, on an oil refinery they used black as earth, grey as neutral (both sleeved to correspond with their use). on the current site, a steelworks, i have seen grey sleeved as earth and black sleeved as neutral

i have found a few documents clarifying the above, but not as far as the regs, are l1, l2 & l3 replaced strictly, ie:

L1 = red = brown
L2 = yellow = black
L3 = blue = grey

this is how i think it is supposed to be translated, but if you could confirm this and point me in the direction of the relevant legislation it would be extremely helpful

thanks for you time
 03 July 2008 11:15 PM

Testit

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Te...bleColoursLeaflet.pdf

http://www.theiet.org/publishi...tions/colour/index.cfm

-------------------------
Online Services - http://propertydevelopment.org.uk

Experience can sometimes show that cost prevails over quality and safety, such little self-value that people hold.
 04 July 2008 07:08 AM

eclipse

The N.I.C guideline is:-

Brown - Live
Grey - Neutral ( sleeved blue)
Black - Earth ( Sleeved green / yellow)

Also shown in the N.I.C hand book Wiring solutions No 2

-------------------------
Thanks

Alan.

Now what was that reg no?
 04 July 2008 08:51 AM

broadgage

Originally posted by: eclipse

The N.I.C guideline is:-

Brown - Live

Grey - Neutral ( sleeved blue)

Black - Earth ( Sleeved green / yellow)

AFAIK there is no regulation requiring the above colour coding, I believe that it would be compliant to use the black core for neutral (sleeved blue) and to use the grey core for earth (sleeved green/yellow)

I would however urge that the reomendation be followed as best practice (though I dont beieve that use of the alternative should receive any code on a PIR)

The recomended code was, I believe, selected to "break the assoiciation between black and neutral, since black is now a phase colour"

Another advantage of the recomended code is that the L2 colour is still used for earth and the L3 colour is still used for neutral.
 04 July 2008 11:08 AM

rogerbryant

Last weekend I went to disconect the SWA cable feeding a greenhouse in my daughters garden so they could dismantle it. I was suprised to find brown and blue insulation as it looked like it had been there at least 10 years. When I disconected from the switch fuse the conductors were about .75mm2 flexible and the earth was solid green, not green yellow. Final removal of the gland revealed a foil screen and a drain wire along with an additional orange conductor. I guess that this was a PO/BT cable that had been used quite happily for many years feeding the greenhouse heaters, backed by a 15A rewireable fuse. There was an RCD for this circuit at the CU end and it looked like the installer had some idea of what vthey were doing.
Does anyone recognise this cable type?

Best regards

Roger
 04 July 2008 11:21 AM

intrinsic4225B

Could it be a mines & quarries (M&Q) cable, rogerbryant? The mining industry was using brown and blue conductors as far back as the early 1970s - although if I recall correctly their circuit protective conductors were green/yellow.

M&Q cables often contain additional conductors for use as pilot conductors, but orange doesn't sound familiar as the colour for such conductors - I would have to check a book at home.

Edited: 04 July 2008 at 11:21 AM by intrinsic4225B
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.