IET logo
 
IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Lighting in EX-rated areas
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05 October 2017 09:33 AM
Status: Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05 October 2017 09:33 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message



ArduinoXR

Posts: 33
Joined: 16 August 2017

Guys, is a separate lighting circuit required for ATEX areas? i.e. a single light fitting in an ex-rated room cannot be wired from a circuit which is also supplying a non-ATEX area?

Can anyone point me in the direction of the relevant reg please?

Cheers lads.
 05 October 2017 07:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message



jamie8286

Posts: 15
Joined: 24 November 2013

Ardunino.

Given a Exe / Exd fitting or similar there is no issue with what you are suggesting it is done all the time. As long as you are installing everything as it should be in the ATEX area and all all none haz equipment is installed to a good standard and as per the manufacturers instructions. Include the none haz equipment on the loop diagram or layout drawing in the "safe" area and label accordingly.

Just ensure the documentation is in in place i.e drawings, inspections, asset tags, cable idents etc and there is no issue.

thanks.
 06 October 2017 01:13 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message



ArduinoXR

Posts: 33
Joined: 16 August 2017

Originally posted by: jamie8286

Ardunino.



Given a Exe / Exd fitting or similar there is no issue with what you are suggesting it is done all the time. As long as you are installing everything as it should be in the ATEX area and all all none haz equipment is installed to a good standard and as per the manufacturers instructions. Include the none haz equipment on the loop diagram or layout drawing in the "safe" area and label accordingly.



Just ensure the documentation is in in place i.e drawings, inspections, asset tags, cable idents etc and there is no issue.



thanks.



Thanks for the info Jamie, couldn't find anything to prevent me from proceeding in this manner
 06 October 2017 02:32 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message



Jaymack

Posts: 5356
Joined: 07 April 2004

Originally posted by: ArduinoXR
Guys, is a separate lighting circuit required for ATEX areas? i.e. a single light fitting in an ex-rated room cannot be wired from a circuit which is also supplying a non-ATEX area?

I suspect that a DP circuit breaker is required, but from my experience with overseas regulations.

Regards
 06 October 2017 04:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message



leckie

Posts: 4323
Joined: 21 November 2008

I think Jaymack is correct, a DP MCB is required for filling stations for equipment/circuit within the hazardous area so I suspect that is also the case in Ex areas generally.
 08 October 2017 10:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message



jamie8286

Posts: 15
Joined: 24 November 2013

A DP mcb is one option to acheive isolation of the neutral conductor in accordance with 60079-14 however other means can be used i.e an isolator or neutral links as stated in the standard. Extract below.

"A means of isolation shall be provided to isolate all live conductors, including the neutral, to allow electrical work to be carried out safely. Where all conductors are not isolated by the same device the means of isolation of other conductors shall be clearly identified."

"The preferred means of isolation is by a device that operates in all relevant conductors at the same time. The means of isolation may include fuses and neutral links where relevant"
 09 October 2017 11:49 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message



ArduinoXR

Posts: 33
Joined: 16 August 2017

Originally posted by: jamie8286

A DP mcb is one option to acheive isolation of the neutral conductor in accordance with 60079-14 however other means can be used i.e an isolator or neutral links as stated in the standard. Extract below.



"A means of isolation shall be provided to isolate all live conductors, including the neutral, to allow electrical work to be carried out safely. Where all conductors are not isolated by the same device the means of isolation of other conductors shall be clearly identified."



"The preferred means of isolation is by a device that operates in all relevant conductors at the same time. The means of isolation may include fuses and neutral links where relevant"


Covered, nice one Jamie & Co.
 09 October 2017 08:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message



jamie8286

Posts: 15
Joined: 24 November 2013

It's a stange one because people assume it is required for the fault or overcurrent protection however it isnt mentioned at all under the "Electrical protection" section
Statistics

New here?


See Also:



FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

..