Wet room for horses   - Manxie - 12 January 2015 05:50 PM  
 Wet room for horses   - weirdbeard - 12 January 2015 05:55 PM  
 Wet room for horses   - dickllewellyn - 12 January 2015 07:16 PM  
 Wet room for horses   - sparkingchip - 12 January 2015 08:24 PM  
 Wet room for horses   - AJJewsbury - 13 January 2015 09:22 AM  
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12 January 2015 08:01 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dickllewellyn

Morning all. A few thoughts required please!

A customer of mine is in the process of having a new stable block consisting of a store room for hay etc, a tack room, two stable boxes, and a wash bay.

My questions are mostly around the wash bay area.

Initially we were going to put an under sink water heater in the tack room, and the client was going to use a gas cylinder device for the shower handset in the wash bay. I wondered if we could do away with the under sink heater and use some kind of electric combi boiler type setup supplying the tack room and a basic mixer shower. Can anyone see any problems with this? Or have a better idea? Or know of a decent electric combi boiler that doesn't dim the lights in the village?!

In the wash bay itself, what are we looking at. We've got another debate goin on about when an area is a special location or not. The client would also like a socket outlet for plugging in clippers etc in the wash bay. I'm not comfortable with where to put the socket in relation to the shower. We put sockets next to outside taps all the time and people plug in pressure washers, but when it's a shower and a horse I think there's a bit more at stake.

The client would also like a horse solarium. From what I can gather this is basically a glorified patio heater that is suspended from the ceiling and is lowered down over the horse after a wash. Again, has anyone ever seen or fitted one of these?

Thanks in advance, and no jokes about lasagne or glue (well go on then if you must!)

-------------------------
Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 12 January 2015 08:06 AM

sparkingchip

I am reliably informed it takes seventeen buckets of water to wash each of the hunts horses, also some destratification fans on the ceiling are highly recommended to improve the working conditions.

Andy
 12 January 2015 09:29 AM

Manxie

First thing to consider here is the livestock and their susceptibility to electrocution.
Unlike us humans the 4 leggers can't take much of a zap.
And standard EEBAD systems cannot protect them..
Therefore, disconnection times are reduced, I?N ? 25v/Ra, and good earthing, cross bonding, etc is paramount..

Regards
Charlie
 12 January 2015 10:46 AM

hifly

as for the solarium, the ones i have seen are just a number of heat lamps on a canopy so it's just the number of lamps and their rating to get the load, however i would probably want to know which make and model before I designed the installation.

Vince

"If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat."

http://www.ruttslanecider.co.uk/products
 12 January 2015 12:47 PM

OMS

What you put in subject to being reasonably suitable for the space and reasonably located in terms of the occupants is pretty well academic

I'd start with a concept of "wet and naked" and then escalate that to the problems with livestock - from there your focus really needs to be on what methods of protection you use - which leads you to what means of earthing is suitable (TT makes sense) and what additional protection might be appropriate - both active (RCD's) and passive (equipotential bonding)

Personally speaking, I'd put in a pumped shower, thermostatic mixing valve and heat the water in a large(ish) vessel remote from the shower room - ie immersion in a tank

Socket in the washbay isn't a problem

The solarium is just a big overhead radiant heater

Regards

OMS

Let the wind blow you, across a big floor.
 12 January 2015 01:09 PM

AJJewsbury

And standard EEBAD systems cannot protect them..
Therefore, disconnection times are reduced, I?N ? 25v/Ra

Not saying it's not a good idea, but I believe those requirement were dropped from BS 7671 for agricultural a while ago. (Or perhaps since the ordinary disconnection times for TT were reduced, there's no need for agricultural to be different any more.)

- Andy.
 12 January 2015 01:23 PM

davezawadi

Hi Dick

It would be a good idea to bond all the floor reinforcement too, catch it before concreting. The best way to connect it all together is to weld in extra steel bars between the mesh sheets, and to braze a solid copper earth rod to the sheet as the accessible conductor for the G&Y. Othwise as OMS.

David

David
BSc CEng MIET
david@ZawadiSoundAndLighting.co.uk
 12 January 2015 05:50 PM

Manxie

Hi Andy
This is my take on it, what do you think?
Yes TT disconnection times have been lowered and they can be increased if certain criteria are met but not if the installation is agricultural.
The installation may also be TNS in which case it still has to be 0.2.
The same may also apply to fixed equipment circuits if they share the same CU.
Also maximum PD is 25v rather than 50v

Regards
Charlie
 12 January 2015 05:55 PM

weirdbeard

Hi testing.... 123...., am struggling with replies failing

edits also failing...

Hi dick, is it a commercial enterprise? find out from their representative whether they have any requirement over and above the minimum requirements, eg they might want IP65 fittings where IP44 will meet the regs, etc

:beer)

Edited: 12 January 2015 at 06:23 PM by weirdbeard
 12 January 2015 07:16 PM

dickllewellyn

Thanks for the replies everyone.

It's not a commercial stables, just a private residence for one horse with the possibility of a friend from time to time. The horse will be outside most of the time, but will be brought down to the wash bay for cleaning and show preperation, and will stay in the stable box on cold nights.

The supply is TT, there wont be any metalwork at all. The stables are entirely timber construction, water comes in by a blue poly and the only other service is the cable we have put in which is a 16mm 2 core SWA.

Unfortunately I've missed the boat on bonding the reinforcing grid before the concrete was poured, but I can put Earth pits in to bond if required. That's assuming there is reinforcing steels in there?! I will have a chat with the builder about that and see what solution we come up with.

Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 12 January 2015 08:24 PM

sparkingchip

The one farmer got me to put a nightlight in the stable area after his his missus split her face open walking into a gate at half five in the morning. It is only a compact fluorescent in a 500 watt floodlight fitting that comes on whilst it is dark giving just enough light to walk about safely and see what's happening.

The farmer says it is really good because if you turn the main lights on at night the horses think it's time to get up and have breakfast, so when you turn the lights off they stand in the dark kicking the boxes for the next couple of hours.

Also a socket at high level is useful for if they decide to get a electric horse brush, similar to sheep shears with a motor mounted on a overhead track driving a large rotating brush via a flexible shaft.

Andy
 13 January 2015 09:22 AM

AJJewsbury

The installation may also be TNS in which case it still has to be 0.2.

Also maximum PD is 25v rather than 50v

Where did you spot that in the current regs? I can't see them in big green. (Although the RCD everything requirements probably makes the ADS disconnection times academic anyway)
- Andy.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.