main bond in another property   - craig0 - 23 September 2017 04:37 PM  
 main bond in another property   - OlympusMons - 22 September 2017 11:48 PM  
 main bond in another property   - mapj1 - 23 September 2017 12:41 AM  
 main bond in another property   - mapj1 - 23 September 2017 06:12 PM  
 main bond in another property   - geoffsd - 23 September 2017 09:42 PM  
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 22 September 2017 09:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

craig0

Hi all, been to a property to fit a shower in a flat. Found no main bond to water in a cupboard. Told the water comes from a restaurant below as it was one building. Now on second floor it is four flats with own electricity supply. Went into cellar of restaurant which has its own electricity supply and the main stop cock is bonded then splits in two one to the restaurant & then to the flats above. I can see the water pipe going up into a cupboard and above is the cupboard in the flats with another stopcock feeding the flats.Never come across this before & to get a main earth from the flats supply would be extremely difficult with a lot of disruption. I don't know how i stand with this.
Thanks
 22 September 2017 09:53 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

leckie

Well if you are saying that each flat has its own electrical supply then they are individual installations. Each installation should be individually bonded as required.
 22 September 2017 10:42 PM

UKPN

Remembering that the earthing systems in the flats must not conflict, that is PME and others, ie TT and separate earth return ( cable sheath) must not be mixed.

Regards, UKPN.
 23 September 2017 04:37 PM

craig0

Each flat has its own cu & has water bond to stop cock in flat from flat cu. But the main stop cock feeding the flats stopcocks is not bonded where it enters the flats area ,but is bonded at its source in another building & is connected to that met, not the flats met. Perhaps didn't explain clearly.i wish i could draw it.
 22 September 2017 11:48 PM

OlympusMons

What if you replaced a bit of the flat's water supply with plastic before it enters the flat? Might be easier. I'm not saying you should do this in the cellar to either the restaurant's water supply or all the flats water supply, just the one you're working on.
 23 September 2017 12:41 AM

mapj1

Hang on, if this was a block of flats, services such as water would indeed first bond in the basement, and if it was a TNCS supply, that would be the last place with a PEN, and from then on earth and neutral never meet again. (in a modern set up anyway)
You would normally have additional earth bonding in each flat, assuming each flat has a CU and some sort of MET, but if you took it off, it would not make much odds.

If somehow a single DNO supply comes into flat 3 half way up the building, without first coming in at the bottom, then no question where pipe enters flat, then yes a link to that MET (also in flat) is needed.

you may find some solice in the following UKPN library documents, other DNOs are similar

BNO Guide
supply to multi occupied buildings

-------------------------
regards Mike
 23 September 2017 06:12 PM

mapj1

It sounds OK actually. Are the various METs not really all interconnected round the back anyway ?Unless its on a different substation, or there are multiple PME supplies one per flat or something, the difference is going to be academic. And as you have an in-flat bond to the plumbing, even if the pipework is in some way made live, due to a terrible error in the building with the master stop-cock, or in a another flat the earthing in one or more flats will serve to blow their fuses and disconnect everything PDQ. If you are worried, check that the pipe work is electrically continuous, and at least as low resistance as the cable that is not fitted would have been. I'd be most surprised if it is not low enough to be OK.

-------------------------
regards Mike
 23 September 2017 09:42 PM

geoffsd

Water pipes should be bonded at their point of entry to the premises - building and flats.
It has nothing to do with the stopcock.

I know they are usually in the same place but stopcocks are irrelvant to bonding.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.