IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: [OT] Health and safety - when did the boards (and industry) start tightening up?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 23 February 2015 09:09 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 [OT] Health and safety - when did the boards (and industry) start tightening up?   - TimJWatts - 23 February 2015 09:09 PM  
 [OT] Health and safety - when did the boards (and industry) start tightening up?   - mikejumper - 23 February 2015 09:48 PM  
 [OT] Health and safety - when did the boards (and industry) start tightening up?   - slittle - 23 February 2015 10:15 PM  
 [OT] Health and safety - when did the boards (and industry) start tightening up?   - Fm - 23 February 2015 10:42 PM  
 [OT] Health and safety - when did the boards (and industry) start tightening up?   - TimJWatts - 23 February 2015 11:10 PM  
 [OT] Health and safety - when did the boards (and industry) start tightening up?   - Fm - 24 February 2015 07:55 AM  
 [OT] Health and safety - when did the boards (and industry) start tightening up?   - TimJWatts - 24 February 2015 08:56 AM  
 [OT] Health and safety - when did the boards (and industry) start tightening up?   - mapj1 - 24 February 2015 11:29 AM  
 [OT] Health and safety - when did the boards (and industry) start tightening up?   - TimJWatts - 24 February 2015 12:24 PM  
 [OT] Health and safety - when did the boards (and industry) start tightening up?   - BillI - 24 February 2015 12:32 PM  
 [OT] Health and safety - when did the boards (and industry) start tightening up?   - Angram - 24 February 2015 01:26 PM  
 [OT] Health and safety - when did the boards (and industry) start tightening up?   - mapj1 - 24 February 2015 02:08 PM  
 [OT] Health and safety - when did the boards (and industry) start tightening up?   - TimJWatts - 24 February 2015 04:03 PM  
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 23 February 2015 09:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

TimJWatts

It is a bit OT, but I thought it might be interesting.

My dad (RIP) was an engineer on the LV/HV (usually to 11kV) networks with the London Electricity Board - Paddington and Brompton areas at various times IIRC. 1950s to set a rough date...

He was one of the poor sods who spent some considerable time in the burns unit after a manky old switch blew up and turned its oil into a fireball in an underground transformer chamber.

Anyway, manky equipment aside, he told some scary tales of that era.

1) A chap he was in hospital with (and they remained friends) had suffered chest and arm burns. He was making an 11kV voltage test at a substation (the sort that are in a room, not out in the open). Bare metal probes into test points, stand back, close test point isolator, take reading, open test point isolator, remove probes. He missed one crucial step.

2) The substation attendant who was cheerfully telling my dad about the HV neon tester that was about 2-3 foot long sitting in the corner that someone had dropped and possibly knackered - and yet, no one had the foresight to take it out of service. I recall my dad saying he was not best pleased to be hearing this.

I found this hard to believe when I first heard it 30 years ago - it's even harder now to fathom how such things went on in any era.

Was there a real turning point between the 50s-60s and now where H&S was radically improved or had it been a very gradual process?
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.