IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Old installation - mix of stranded and solid cored cables
Topic Summary: Advice required
Created On: 12 January 2015 10:57 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Old installation - mix of stranded and solid cored cables   - alphanov - 12 January 2015 10:57 AM  
 Old installation - mix of stranded and solid cored cables   - broadgage - 12 January 2015 11:27 AM  
 Old installation - mix of stranded and solid cored cables   - Zimmerman - 12 January 2015 01:13 PM  
 Old installation - mix of stranded and solid cored cables   - davezawadi - 12 January 2015 01:15 PM  
 Old installation - mix of stranded and solid cored cables   - AJJewsbury - 12 January 2015 01:27 PM  
 Old installation - mix of stranded and solid cored cables   - mapj1 - 13 January 2015 12:46 AM  
 Old installation - mix of stranded and solid cored cables   - Zimmerman - 13 January 2015 03:55 PM  
 Old installation - mix of stranded and solid cored cables   - alphanov - 13 January 2015 04:16 PM  
 Old installation - mix of stranded and solid cored cables   - Phillron - 13 January 2015 04:00 PM  
 Old installation - mix of stranded and solid cored cables   - Zimmerman - 14 January 2015 08:57 AM  
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12 January 2015 10:57 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

alphanov

Hello

I am not from the Electrical Engineering discipline so please excuse my ignorance. (I'm Chartered in EMC)

I visited a friend's house at the same time as an NCEIC electrician. In short the electrician was there to investigate frequently blowing bulbs in a recently installed ceiling unit. He stated that the ceiling junction box was being fed by a flexible cored conductor so "wasn't allowed". He suggested a rewire of the premises to remove the problem. He then looked at the consumer unit which had been replaced by a dual RCD unit about 2 years previously when a building extension had been wired. The unit and the extension wiring had been issued with a Part P certificate. The electrician showed me that the original wiring had been extended using crimps and heatshrink (behind the board) and that the cables were extended using the current colour T&E. A label was on the front of the unit to give a warning to that fact.

The wiring has been tested by an NCIEC contractor about 15 months ago as the house has been rented out by the owner. There were no issues noted on the certificate.

My questions are:
Is the crimp/heatshrink method an acceptable means of joining non accessible cables (if it is done correctly)? (I understand about mechanical strength and heating effects)

Is it OK, on an existing installation, to retain a mixture of solid and stranded cores?

Thanks

Regards

Nev

-------------------------
alphanov
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.