IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: "Intelligent" new washing machines.
Topic Summary: Suitable for rental potential?
Created On: 29 November 2016 07:31 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 29 November 2016 07:31 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Zoomup

Would you rent out your washing machine?http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...similar-taxi-app.html

Z.
 29 November 2016 03:44 PM

geoffsd

Not sure I understand why the WM has to be 'intelligent'.
Have people not always "taken in washing"?

Do the renters come into your property or take away the WM until their time is up?

Another case of thinking up solutions to problems which do not exist.
 29 November 2016 04:53 PM

broadgage

Agree, the main reason for purchasing ones own washing machine is to do the laundry whenever it fits in with other tasks.

If one has to go out to a neighbour, then most of this convenience would be lost.

For those without access to a washing machine, perhaps there might be a market for a central self service laundry facility in most built up areas.
A number of high capacity washing machines and dryers could be installed, these being operated by inserting coins.
A 3 phase electricity supply would permit of simple and reliable induction motor drives, and the water could be heated by gas at a lower cost than an electric heater in each washing machine.

For those customers who don't want to wait, it might be worthwhile to employ an attendant who could insert the coins on your behalf and have the washed and dried laundry ready for your collection.

Perhaps call this facility a "launderette" even those with a domestic washing machine might find this facility useful for large blankets and duvets that don't fit a domestic machine.
 29 November 2016 08:27 PM

sparkingchip

Some universities have had internet connected washing machines in their hall of residence launderettes for many years allowing users to keep track of their availability and progress.
 29 November 2016 08:59 PM

stateit

Installed a wifi-enabled tumble dryer last week as part of a utility room refit.

My how we all scratched our heads in awe and wonder...

-------------------------
S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 29 November 2016 09:09 PM

sparkingchip

It makes sense at the university laundrettes, being shared machines. In a domestic utility room it's harder to justify.

Andy
 30 November 2016 12:02 AM

mapj1

perhaps for the larger more dysfunctional family where no one actually talks to each other?
In our house my wife simply shouts up the stairs to daughter to bring her washing down, when the machine is going on, and will she bring any loose items off the bedroom floor as well , sometimes with extra foreign words thrown in to indicate that a greater degree of urgency and self preservation is required.

regards Mike
 30 November 2016 09:08 PM

stateit

Originally posted by: mapj1

perhaps for the larger more dysfunctional family where no one actually talks to each other?

One larger house I worked in a short while ago had a 'flower room' where the cut flowers from the garden (brought in by the gardeners) would be sorted and arranged (by the housekeeper).

I could see a use for wifi enabled white goods for cases like that, but you'd certainly have to send the housekeeper and her underlings on a course.

Maybe there's a niche-market-training business opportunity there for someone? 10% for that please to my usual bank account.

S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.