Increase font size
Topic Title: Modifications to Installations with non Amendment 3 DB
Topic Summary:
Created On: 13 May 2015 07:12 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 May 2015 07:12 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

19simon

Will it be possible to install a new circuit into a spare way on a plastic DB in a domestic installation after Amendment 3 comes into effect?

Apart from very early boards, it has for many years normally been possible to fit RCBOs into boards to comply with the obligation to provide RCD protection to modified or new circuits.

It is also possible to provide RCD protection on old rewireable boards by installing external RCDs.

It will not be possible to comply with fire proofing requirements without changing the DB, so does this mean we will no longer be able to add/modify installations with old boards, or does this requirement only apply to rewires, board changes and new build?
 13 May 2015 07:34 PM

daveparry1

Regulations are not retrospective so I cannot see how this could be the case.
 13 May 2015 07:56 PM

geoffsd

Nobody knows what the new requirements mean.
 13 May 2015 09:52 PM

19simon

In theory the regs are not retrospective, but if you work on a socket circuit with no RCD protection or an installation with no main bonding you have to make sure it complies before doing the work even if it complied when originally nstalled.
 13 May 2015 11:19 PM

geoffsd

What would the consequences be if the answer to your original question were "Yes"?
 14 May 2015 09:14 AM

AJJewsbury

I'd say the question would be similar to - 'can I simply connect to an existing circuit wired in red & black or do I need to oversleeve the existing cores with brown & blue'? The answer of course is that you can leave the existing cores as they are. On the same basis, I'd say you can connect to an existing CU as is - only your new work needs to comply with the latest regs - existing only needs to be suitable to 'support' your work (i.e. supply a suitable voltage (not too much voltage drop), adequate Zs, current carrying capacity, equipotential zone and so on) and your changes mustn't make the existing any worse than it is if it doesn't comply with current regs.
- Andy.
 14 May 2015 09:31 AM

mapj1

But... if the installation is then EICRd against the newest regs it will of course fail on the plastic CU, which you may not care about.

Mind you, strictly, so would red and black cored wires, non-stripey earths, and so would no socket RCDs and open frame switch gear -which you might care about, so a note about previous versions of the regs and some judgement about what is real and imaginary danger is required.

Contrary to some beliefs however, BS3036 hot wire fuses in an earthed metal box will not fail ! Back to the future chaps.

-------------------------
regards Mike
 14 May 2015 09:47 AM

Zoomup

"Contrary to some beliefs however, BS3036 hot wire fuses in an earthed metal box will not fail ! Back to the future chaps."

Well at least they did not catch fire in their robust porcelain and steel non plastic enclosures. Time to buy shares in a B.S. 3036 fuse wire manufacturing company methinks.

Z.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.