Increase font size
Topic Title: Another EICR question
Topic Summary: Armour as earth
Created On: 13 January 2015 07:40 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 January 2015 07:40 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Dtw21

Hi all,

Allow me to set the scene.

Tx LV switch feeds DB1 and this subsequently feeds let's say, 6 more ccts including another DB.

Let's say DB1 feeds DB2 with a BS6724 4 core, armour as earth.

Although the armour terminates at the entry into the board and a 16mm copper single goes from the lug to the Earthing terminal of the DB.

When filling out earthing material and size on the paperwork do I use the 16mm copper, or 70mm steel or 22.5 copper (as equivalent from steel?)

I have seen sparks put down a whole host of different things on EICR's what's the consensus here.

I can see arguments for both sides, such as at home I have a PILC feeding my service head, which is TNS with a BS951 clamp on the lead sheath and a 16mm single copper cable from the clamp to my MET.
I would be filling my earthing conductor in as 16mm cu not whatever the lead cross section is.

I'm sure someone will put me straight pretty sharpish but any help will be appreciated.
 13 January 2015 07:51 AM

dickllewellyn

Whenever I have a situation like this I always log the smallest conductor. In this case I would use 16mm as the size for the report. If the copper equivalent of the armour was below the 16mm pig tail then I would use the copper equivalent

I'm not saying that's right or wrong, just what I do. If it's wrong then I will learn with you!

-------------------------
Regards
Richard (Dick)

"Insert words of wisdom and/or witty pun here"
 13 January 2015 08:03 AM

Dtw21

Yep that makes absolute sense. I kind of overlooked the obvious.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.