IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Electronic certificate software.
Topic Summary: Forced to use CPS versions only?
Created On: 30 September 2017 07:26 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 30 September 2017 07:26 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jonny705

I was just wondering about this as it takes so long to fill in the Stroma forms.
If you use a purpose built form filling software such as Tysoft, can you 'upload' these to a CPS scheme provider, Or do you have to use their software all the time?
It all seems to be done via a log-on, so I was wondering what the others are like .
You cannot log on to the stroma one without an internet connection so no point in taking, say a tablet and filling them in ,as often the internet is down/not installed.
All I seem to do is fill the normal 7671 forms in , scribble any defects on the backs of them and take some pictures , then spend hours re-typing all the info in.
Just repeating things like -designer/inspector/installer /test instruments/my name etc, there must be a better way-its driving me nuts!
 30 September 2017 09:02 PM

leckie

Why do you need to upload anything? I'm in the NICEIC and although you can produce a certificate from their website, you can notify a job and just enter a certificate number. I haven't used NICEIC format reports or certificates for over ten years; there is no requirement to do so, so why bother? Stroma cannot be any different.

I use Hollycroft software. You can "save as" copy, paste, etc, so it's fairly simple to use. I haven't used Tysoft but I hear it is very good. But hollycroft is more than just form filling, it is a big package with lots of stuff on H&S, cable calcs, legal template letters,etc. A lot of stuff for the money.

For EICR's I use my own forms based on excel. These are very quick to fill in, you can save lots of bits pre filled for different types of installations. I have single phase and TPN version templates for all board configurations so the circuit designation numbers are pre filled. Took a long time to do but saves a lot of time now.

I would not even consider using any scheme providers forms or the Amtech forms - far to slow. I can edit my own to suit.

Edited: 30 September 2017 at 09:12 PM by leckie
 01 October 2017 10:17 AM

KFH

To register a job with Stroma you just need the basic details of the job, date, address and your certificate number and select from a list the type of work . No need to upload or complete another certificate. Was same with ELECSA when I was with them.
 01 October 2017 11:43 AM

Cremeegg

NAPIT are as Stroma so far as registration details - no mention of any certificates. NAPIT do their own version of the BS7671 forms - with lots of extra meaningless boxes as do NICEIC, Kewtech and a million others. I use my own version in Word and Excel but have in the past used Tysoft.

I'm of an age where I'm half paper and half technology. Still find a blank paper form and a pen better than filling in on an ipad or similar. As I use my own forms I can tailor them to the job/client and easily add the odd photo or diagram. My EIC/EICR's always contain a page showing the circuit schedules exactly as to which socket/lamp/appliance is off which breaker - as the standard up lights, down lights rarely applies and the standard space in the Schedule of Test Results is inadequate. Client often uses circuit schedule to affix to DB - or at a cost I will print them out separately and laminate them.
 01 October 2017 12:35 PM

jonny705

Before I joined a CPS , I used to be able to fill an editable standard BS7671 form on my PC, I would then save them ,print them off etc, I cannot do this no more as in edit them on pc. When you say just enter a certificate number, the generic forms above haven't got one as such?

When generate a job via Stroma it asks for postcode /address before it generates certificate with a unique number on it .
When I submit these to stroma for building control , I then put the individual certificate number in and tell it what basic job it is and it submits it I guess.
I cannot work out how you would submit your own version , wither created on a purchased third party software application, or say your own Office made forms. other than uploading it somehow as say a PDF file when you submit that job to building control via your provider.

Think I am getting confused over something really simple

I have seen some of the other forms, and there is often loads more boxes, that they add on , to make them look more complicated, but it's just more work ,but then some things are handy like rcd ramp and say how many outlets are on each circuit, for future reference.

Have downloaded both the Tysoft and Hollycroft software today to have a look, thanks for advice.
 01 October 2017 01:10 PM

Zs

Yes, I think either you are confused or I have been doing it wrong for years. I'm NAPIT and I don't upload completed certificates or a cert number to them. I suppose that day will come though.

However, whilst they are hot on the Zs tail, I am not a Stroma member. I think that when JP sees your post he'll be in a position to get someone to come on here and explain it clearly.

I use certification made by members of this forum over and above the Amtech ones that I have here. I reserve the pain of Amtech certification for one client.

I have a feeling your life is going to get sweeter within the next few days jonny.

Zs
 01 October 2017 01:47 PM

leckie

Give Stroma ring Jonny, there is no way that you need to upload a certificate.

It will just be the client details and a reference/cert number, not any form of certificate. There notification site may have an option to generate a certificate, but this should just be an option not a requirement. If you use a form fill companies certificate you will have an option to enter a certificate number. If you do your own, just give it any reference you want.
 01 October 2017 05:36 PM

Cremeegg

With the NAPIT online notification there is the option to enter a client reference (I use my own job number); once the notification is complete the NAPIT system gives you a notification number. My certificates always contain my job number as a reference in the footer of every page eg 1234; those that refer to notifiable jobs have the NAPIT number hyphenated after it as well eg 1234-898978. No requirement for any certificates to be submitted.
 02 October 2017 08:02 PM

jonny705

Thanks for help , yes I think I was getting confused with the reference number thing.
Have looked at the software you can buy, and you can just enter any number.
The Tysoft software seems quick to get to grips with and you can save all the annoying things that you have to repeat, which would have been fantastic a couple of months ago.

I had never done any self notifying before-if I ever got the council round they would just take a copy of my certificates.

I just assumed everything had to go through Stroma certification sheets once you had joined along with notifiable work-never mind at least I know now
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.