Increase font size
Topic Title: Storage heater replacement
Topic Summary:
Created On: 29 September 2017 11:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 29 September 2017 11:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

SKElectrical

Surveyor's report tells Client that his storage heaters are poor and inefficient, so Client wants new instant heaters.
Only a 60A supply to flat.
Electric only power.
Shower
Cooker
2kW heater
1.5kW heater
1.0KW heater
1.0kW heater.
3kW water heater.

Max DEMAND??
What are your thoughts?
 29 September 2017 11:51 AM

AJJewsbury

Modern storage heaters might be a better idea, but I suppose the customer is always right...

Maybe do a quick heat loss calculation to see if 5.5kW is really going to be a realistic sustained load (it seems quite a lot for flat to me, but depends on its size/shape/position and how well insulated it is).

If you're still worried, perhaps put in a load shedding relay so that the space heating is switched off when the shower is in use?

- Andy.
 29 September 2017 12:25 PM

alancapon

Originally posted by: SKElectrical
Surveyor's report tells Client that his storage heaters are poor and inefficient . . .

So how does that work then? 100% of the energy bought goes towards heating the room it is in, and you can store the energy during the cheap tariff times for use later in the day when it is needed . . .

Regards,

Alan.
 29 September 2017 12:34 PM

AJJewsbury

So how does that work then? 100% of the energy bought goes towards heating the room it is in, and you can store the energy during the cheap tariff times for use later in the day when it is needed

I guess most of the "inefficiency" comes from providing heat when it's not required (e.g. because today is warmer/sunnier than usual).
- Andy.
 01 October 2017 12:22 AM

sparkingchip

Has this been highlighted on the energy efficiency assessor report or the building surveyors report?

Andy B.
 01 October 2017 03:13 AM

Jaymack

Originally posted by: SKElectrical
Surveyor's report tells Client that his storage heaters are poor and inefficient, so Client wants new instant heaters.

Heat is heat is heat. It will be stored in the fabric of the building and furnishings etc. Storage heating of any form, should only be considered as background heating, it won't cater for sudden variations in temperature. Fan assisted storage heaters, will distribute the stored heat more quickly in the short term; however top up heating, should be used where storage heating is installed, using the 24 hour supply if electric. I think that a complaint should be made against the surveyor.

Regards
 01 October 2017 09:12 PM

SKElectrical

I had assumed the findings were from one of those 15minute energy surveys but it may well have been part of the 16minute building surveys (either way money well spent).
So the thinking is I can indeed install instantaneous heaters.
As regards the load shedding relay... how is it activated by the shower? What feeds A1?
 01 October 2017 09:57 PM

UKPN

Putting aside the debate regarding the on peak/off peak heating, the question was max demand required. We are looking on the evidence at around 78 amps. Adding a few lamps, a couple of televisions, computers, fridge, freezer, washing machine, tumble dryer-have I missed anything? We would want to upgrade our service in this all-electric home to 100amps. Staying on the Economy 7 tariff for off peak energy would enable the consumer to stay with the existing service.

Regards, UKPN
 02 October 2017 09:25 AM

AJJewsbury

As regards the load shedding relay... how is it activated by the shower? What feeds A1?

The shower feed goes through the load shedding relay- the relay senses the current flow and switches its output accordingly. E.g. see how its done for shower priority units (in your case you just have the space heating rather than a 2nd shower).
http://www.meteorelectrical.co...Boards_1452600737.pdf

You can buy the relay on its own http://www.meteorelectrical.co...ent-sensing-relay.html and team it up with an appropriate contactor for your other loads (perhaps high rated if all on once circuit or multipole if several separate circuits).

- Andy.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.