Welcome

Refine search results

All    Any    Exact phrase

Search hint

All - search for events containing all entered keywords

Any - search for events containing any, some, or all of the entered keywords

Exact phrase - search for events where keywords appear exactly as entered

Dates

to

Region

Distance


Within of post code (UK Only)

Login for more refinement options

Visit to AVRO Heritage Museum - Aviation History

Visit

Image of three blue heads in profile on grey background

Avro Heritage Trust's collection includes over 30,000 items on aircraft development, including over 10,000 items and memorabilia from the Woodford site. The nose and cockpit section of an Avro Vulcan on display is accessible to visitors inside.

Date and Time

16 November 2017 - 11:00-14:00

Location

Stockport, United Kingdom - icon_popup  (See map)

Organiser

Organised by the UK - NW:Manchester local network.


About this event

This AVRO Heritage Museum event includes a brief lecture, video presentation, a guided tour, and lunch available (see "Additional information" below).

The former Fire Station of the BAE Woodford Aerodrome has been renovated to host the museum. The site is 2.39 acres in size. The museum has an exhibition hall, a gallery, a cafe, reading rooms, and classrooms.

The new museum is 70% larger than the previous centre. It holds Avro Heritage Trust's collection of over 30,000 artefacts on aircraft development, including over 10,000 artefacts and memorabilia from the Woodford site in 11,700 square feet (1,090 m2) of space. 80% of the collection will be on display, with the other 20% on rotation display over the course of a year.

The exhibition includes an Avro Vulcan B2 bomber number XM603, which will be on permanent display adjacent to the museum. The bomber was built at Woodford, and was used by the RAF. The nose and cockpit section of an Avro Vulcan is also on display in the museum, and visitors are able to sit in it.

See web site for more information. http://www.baesystems.com/en-uk/feature/new-avro-heritage-museum-in-woodford

Programme

11:00  Introductory Presentation on AVRO history and Museum Development
11:30  Guided Tour of Museum with access to cockpits as available
13:00  End of tour, lunch if responded in advance (see "Additional information")

Additional information

All visitors are required to report to the Woodford main gate security on arrival and observe the site speed limit of 20 mph

Anyone with mobility difficulties needs to advise us when registering. Please note there is no wheelchair access to the aircraft cockpits as such access was never part of the original aircraft design. To access you must be able to climb stairs and we recommend flat shoes for safety.

You will receive an email after your registration of this event, asking if you would stay for lunch after the tour, so reservation will be made in advance.

This visit event is organised by Manchester based IET Retired Members Group



Register

Are you looking for more events?

You might also be interested in (search more events)

Image of lectern

Lecture - Wed 22 November 2017 at 17:30

Join us for an evening of food, fun and exploring the engineering behind ‘TechStyle’ and the exciting new innovations in the field! Play with cool wearable technology exhibits and take the opportunity to network with the speakers after the lecture.