Accreditation of professional development schemes
An accredited professional development scheme enables organisations to provide a quality assured pathway for its engineers who want to achieve professional registration.
What is an accredited professional development scheme?
For organisations that need to recruit, develop and retain technical teams that can demonstrate international standards of competence and professionalism, a structured professional development scheme is essential.
Accredited schemes typically build on established development programmes already in place to meet the needs of the business. They must provide the necessary training, development and experience to enable individuals to build a portfolio of evidence and demonstrate the required level of competence for professional registration. This may be as a Chartered Engineer (CEng), Incorporated Engineer (IEng), Engineering Technician (EngTech) or ICT Technician (ICTTech).
Accredited schemes are promoted by the IET to students and graduates as an ideal vehicle for their entry into the professional world of engineering and technology.
What are the benefits of accreditation?
- Aids organisations in the recruitment of graduates and professional engineers;
- Is promoted as a streamlined route to CEng / IEng / EngTech / ICTTech;
- Supporting career development towards professional registration improves the retention rates of graduates and professional engineering staff;
- Provides a structured and supported route for the development of both future leaders and senior engineers;
- Demonstrates to clients and customers that the organisation employs the right calibre of staff - this is often useful when submitting tenders;
- Develops critically important engineering capabilities and secures the continued well being of the organisation;
- Provides opportunities for networking with other accredited employers and universities (events and workshops);
- Inclusion in the list of IET accredited schemes;
- Accredited schemes can display the Certificate of Accreditation and may use the IET's accredited scheme logo on promotional material and scheme documentation;
- Is recognised as a high quality seal of approval throughout industry, academia and government, and provides evidence of "quality assured" engineer development which is recognised both nationally and internationally;
- Provides access to a body of knowledge outside of the organisation and helps to promote a meaningful dialogue between the organisation and the IET, one of Europe's leading engineering institutions and accreditation is recognised as a high quality seal of approval;
- Exclusive access to the IET Graduate Forum.
Companies that are registered with the ECITB may claim a grant for each employee who attains professional registration through an accredited scheme. They may also apply for a grant towards the cost of employees attending and successfully completing a recognised Masters Degree whilst on an accredited scheme. Speak to your ECITB account manager for further details.
How to apply for accreditation
Find out more about how to apply for accreditation with the IET.
Contact the accreditation department
Career development services from the IET