What do I need to do for Engineering Technician (EngTech) professional registration?

Royal Navy Engineering Technician (EngTech) - find out whether you're ready to apply.

If you're ready to apply for EngTech

Familiarise yourself with the Engineering Council's UK-SPEC framework which is the standard you need to follow to apply for EngTech.


You will need to present evidence in your written application demonstrating your competence.

Evidence of your competence

You will need to tell us about your involvement in two recently completed technical tasks or projects to illustrate:

  • what you did;
  • how you knew what you had to do;
  • how you reported on what you did;
  • what kind of precautions you took to prevent harm to people, equipment or data.

We also need you to tell us:

  • how you keep in touch with developments in your technical area;
  • how you have continued to develop your knowledge and skills.

Technical knowledge and understanding

The list below sets out the different ways in which you may demonstrate the knowledge and understanding to underpin the competences for EngTech professional registration:
  • A National Certificate or Diploma in Engineering or Construction and the Built Environment;
  • An approved or accredited qualification in engineering or construction at Level 6 in the Scottish Qualification and Credit Framework;
  • A City and Guilds Higher Professional Diploma in Engineering;
  • A technical certificate as part of an IET approved advanced apprenticeship programme;
  • An NVQ 3 or SVQ 3 which has been approved or accredited by a licensed engineering institution;
  • A work-based learning route approved or accredited by a licensed professional engineering institution;
  • Qualifications in similar areas that have been assessed as equivalent by a licensed professional engineering institution.

Remember that if you have not completed any of the above, but can demonstrate competence through work-based learning, you may still apply for EngTech registration.

I'm ready for professional registration, how do I apply?

Unsure if you're ready to apply for EngTech yet?

Contact a professional registration advisor if you have any questions about your application. PRAs are members with detailed knowledge of the requirements and routes to professional registration. They are able to review individual cases and advise on whether a candidate is ready to apply to the IET for professional registration. They will also be able to advise on the presentation aspect of making a formal application.

You can begin to compile your evidence using Career Manager, which is designed to help you build the evidence base you need to apply for EngTech and is aligned to the Engineering Council's UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC). Information will be stored in Career Manager until you are ready to apply for professional registration.

You will need to join the IET to access Career Manager.

Need help?

We will do as much as we can to support you with any aspect of your application, so please get in touch if you need help and advice.

Tel: +44 (0) 1438 767 333
Email: profreg@theiet.org