Armed forces advantages of membership
The benefits of IET membership for armed forces personnel.
As a member you will have joined one of the premiere engineering institutions in the world with over 150,000 members who have benefited from:
- An industry-recognised professional qualification
The IET is licensed by the Engineering Council to assess applicants and award the following titles: Chartered Engineer (CEng); Incorporated Engineer (IEng); Engineering Technician (EngTech); ICT Technician (ICTTech)
- Demonstration of capability and expert competence;
- Formal recognition of the transferable skills that you have gained throughout your service;
- Personal commitment to your career;
- Peer respect for your knowledge and authority.
IET membership provides additional continuous support and life-long learning throughout your career with:
- Our Local Networks and Technical and Professional Networks;
- IET mentoring service to support you to achieve your goals;
- Our award winning E&T magazine, journals and research tools to keep you up to date;
- Over 1,500 events and courses at significant discounts;
- IET.tv, which provides live streaming of events, seminars and lectures featuring industry experts via the Internet;
- Books and Journals at the Engineering and ICT Reference library;
- Members facilities and venues – as a member you have access to the Library, members' lounge or computer suite at IET London: Savoy Place, IET Birmingham: Austin Court and IET Glasgow: Teacher Building.
- Volunteering opportunities which can be both an enjoyable and rewarding experience and enhance your own professional development
Home for life
The armed forces is not necessarily a career for life and the IET can fill that gap should you decide to move on. At some stage, you will leave the services and IET membership provides access to quality professional development support, which individuals have already benefited from while in the employment of the armed forces.