Terms and conditions of membership of the Institution of Engineering and Technology.
1. The IET welcomes applications from people who have an interest in engineering and technology and who are aged 16 years or over.
2. There are five categories of member:
3. Submitting a membership application for a specific category does not guarantee membership of this category.
4. The IET reserves the right to refuse any application for membership.
5. All members undertake to abide by the Rules of Conduct.
6. Honorary Fellows are elected by the IET Board of Trustees. Honorary Fellows are:
7. Honorary Fellows shall be entitled to use the designatory letters HonFIET (Honorary Fellow of the Institution of Engineering and Technology).
8. Fellows will have met the requirements for admission as a Member and in addition they will have demonstrated significant individual responsibility, sustained achievement and professionalism in areas relevant to the interests of the IET to a level required by the Board. Fellows are entitled to use the designatory letters FIET (Fellow of the Institution of Engineering and Technology).
9. Members will have achieved a standard of knowledge, understanding and experience, as required by the Board. Members shall be entitled to use the designatory letters MIET (Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology) or TMIET (Technician Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology).
10. Associates are those who value involvement with the IET, but do not meet the requirements for admission as a Member.
11. Student membership is for individuals working towards a career in science, engineering or technology whether at university or on an apprenticeship scheme.
12. A member may transfer from their membership category at any time during their membership as long as they meet the criteria of the membership category applied for.
13. Membership subscriptions run for a period of one year payable annually in advance. The IET operates a system of anniversary billing so a member’s subscription renewal date is determined by the month in which they joined. The IET does not offer a facility for members to pay by instalments.
14. Membership fees are revised annually and members will be notified of the fee changes in writing via their subscription renewal notice (post and email). The membership fees are also published on the IET website and these are updated to include the following year’s fees to coincide with the delivery of the January renewal notices.
15. Membership subscription payments not received within three months of the due date will result in the membership being considered lapsed and all services will be suspended including any right to designatory letters or to be registered.
16. Reduced rates and discounts on subscription fees are available to members in special circumstances. Full details can be found on the following web page Reduced fees. The IET has the right to request proof of eligibility.
17. Persons in any category of membership may resign from the IET by sending their resignation in writing to the Chief Executive and Secretary.
18. The subscription will be refunded if notification of resignation is received within 90 days of the membership subscription start date. The refund will be made by the following means:
19. If a member resigns or allows their membership to lapse and then wishes to rejoin, their subscription renewal date will be set as follows:
20. If a registered member resigns or allows their membership to lapse they must rejoin within three years to maintain their registration with the Engineering Council. Backdated Engineering Council fees will be required. If the period of non-membership is more than three years the member will have to re-apply for registration with the Engineering Council.
21. Any member who was awarded Chartered Electrical Engineer status from the IEE and resigns or allows their membership to lapse will not be entitled to use this title should they rejoin.
22. A member with CITP registration who resigns or allows their membership to lapse and then decides to rejoin will be readmitted to the Register of Chartered IT Professionals as long as their Certificate of Current Competence is unexpired and they make payment of a sum equivalent to all outstanding registration fees.
23. A member whose Certificate of Current Competence is expired may be readmitted to the Register of Chartered IT Professionals as follows:
24. Refunds for overpayments above £5 will be made automatically within 28 days of the payment being processed.
25. Refunds for overpayments below £5 or its equivalent will be made if requested within 90 days of the overpayment being processed. Refunds will not be repaid automatically due to the disproportionate processing costs and will be treated as a donation to the IEE Benefactors Trust Fund.
26. Refunds will be paid if the decease of a member takes place within three calendar months of the subscription renewal date. The amount of the refund will be the full amount paid. Claims for a refund can be made up to a maximum of one year after the original payment subscription renewal date. If original payment was made by Direct Debit or credit/debit card then the refund will be made to the bank account/card. For other payment methods and instances where the bank account or card has been closed then a cheque will be issued and made payable to the Estate of the deceased. To make a payment via a method other than those described above we would require an original copy of the Grant of Representation by which the executor/administrator was appointed. Account details into which the refund should be repaid must also be provided.
27. No refund will be granted if the member has gained financial benefit from their IET membership such as receiving discounted conference fees or publications.
28. The IET aims to serve its members effectively and fairly and member feedback is important. In the event of a complaint or grievance then members are advised to call the IET Member and Customer Services Team on +44 (0)1438 765678 or email the details of the complaint.
29. Where possible the issue will be dealt with immediately. If further investigation is required then a response will be provided within five working days. If it is not possible to resolve the problem within that time, advice will be given on how long the investigations are likely to take.
30. In the unlikely event that a complaint is not resolved adequately then the Membership Manager should be contacted on +44 (0)1438 765600. Alternatively members are advised to write to the Membership Manager, The IET, Michael Faraday House, Six Hills Way, Stevenage, Herts SG1 2AY, UK.
31. The IET reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions at any time.