Requirements for Trustees, Board and Committee members
The effectiveness of Boards and Committees is enhanced by members, volunteers, non-members and staff working together to maintain the highest standards of respect, trust and integrity.
Skills – Ability to provide:
- Leadership, including chairmanship of committees and working parties;
- Innovative and strategic thinking, contributing actively and constructively;
- Decision-making for beneficial, “can do” solutions;
- Communicating, influence and public speaking;
- Representational and ambassadorial roles;
- Financial and business development advice;
- Sufficient time to contribute actively to boards, committees and working parties.
Knowledge – Provide understanding of:
- The Institution of Engineering and Technology, its objects and purposes;
- Legal duties and responsibilities of trusteeship;
- Global engineering and technology profession;
- Membership issues.
Experience – at least two of:
- Working in academia, industry, knowledge management, publishing or membership services;
- Leadership of a global organisation;
- Governance and / or non-executive directorship;
- Strategic planning, and monitoring and evaluating performance in commercial or non-profit organisations;
- Policy development or implementation;
- Financial and management accounting;
- Risk management.
- For the more senior positions on boards and committees, candidates are expected to have held more senior positions in their careers and to bring a broader perspective on the engineering and technology profession;
- Positions reserved for Young Professionals should attract engineers who aspire to more senior roles;
- The aim is for skills-based boards and committees with members able to provide the mix of skills, experience and understanding of global membership issues, knowledge management and membership services, willing to speak their minds and to work closely with staff as a team, to deliver a more effective IET;
- Where possible, boards and committees should have members who reflect the demography of the IET membership.