Knowledge Management Board
Responsible to the Board of Trustees for the planning and implementation of the IET’s knowledge management strategy.
- Provide assurance to the Board of Trustees concerning the effective delivery of strategic programmes as delegated by the Board of Trustees;
- Monitor performance of strategic programmes as delegated by the Board of Trustees.
Terms of reference
Strategic advice and support
- Overseeing the creation of capability to deliver the knowledge management strategy;
- Recommending changes to the IET’s knowledge management strategic direction;
- Supporting the development and enhancement of the knowledge management strategy;
- Looking beyond the period of the IET Plan, provide advice that will enable the IET to maintain its position as a world class provider of knowledge products and services.
- Advising on Sector and Communities policy.
Supporting the effective and efficient delivery of the IET Plan
- Providing input during the creation of the IET Plan, identifying requirements for new initiatives, and the adjustment or cessation of activities;
- Providing assurance to the Board of Trustees that the final draft IET Plan is aligned to their longer range strategic objectives and that they have had the appropriate opportunity to input to the planning process;
- Keeping under review the portfolio of knowledge management products and services to ensure that they are continuing to meet user needs;
- Approving proposals for the establishment of communities and networks, monitoring their performance, and, when appropriate, closing them down;
- Arranging for named lectures and lectures of broad interest outside the programme of the communities and networks;
- Approving proposals for Lifetime Achievement awards, Innovation Awards and medals (including the Faraday Medal).
Stewardship, assurance and risk management
- Ensuring that supporting governance and community, member and volunteer groups are co-ordinated, guided, monitored and well motivated to deliver the IET Plan;
- Recommending to the Board of Trustees the creation and dissolution of governance, community, member and volunteer groups which report through the Board;
- Monitoring performance against the IET Plan using KPIs, as defined in the balanced scorecard, and ensuring that progress is being made;
- Providing advice on longer range issues that might impact the effective and efficient delivery of the IET Plan and identifying mitigations;
- In respect of those risks delegated to the Board, operating a risk management process. Identifying and responding to other significant and material risks to the IET’s "licence to operate" and its capability to deliver its long term objectives;
- Providing a process to ensure that Knowledge Management activity, irrespective of where it is delivered, complies with the strategy and IET Plan.
- Operating a process to identify and manage all key stakeholders;
- Identifying key issues and creating an action plan to engage members and other stakeholders both pro-actively and in response to their needs and expectations;
- Ensuring that the portfolio of knowledge management products and services takes full account of the needs of young professionals;
- Liaising with other Boards.