The Test Manager will lead a small team of experienced testers and provide high quality testing, test planning and test project management services to their colleagues in IT. The Test Manager will provide the focal point for management and planning of test resources, agree the test approach with their colleagues and be responsible for the execution of test plans. The team is responsible for the assurance of a wide range of software applications including online products, websites and backoffice systems.
Reports to: Business Systems Manager
Accountable to: Head of IT and Digital Services
Hours: 35 hours per week, exclusive of meal breaks, plus as many as required to fulfil the needs of the post
Location: Michael Faraday House, Six Hills Way, Stevenage
Main Duties and Responsibilities (Not necessarily in priority order)
- Plans the allocation of test resource and activities and co-ordinates the execution of these plans;
- Manages in-house, contract and vendor testing;
- Responsible for setting quality measures, testing approach and management of test projects;
- Ensures appropriate system, integration and regression test plans, objectives and scripts are implemented;
- Executes test scripts, providing documentary evidence of the results;
- Responsible for introduction of and ongoing automated testing disciplines;
- Responsible for ensuring the test system environments are fit for purpose;
- Takes the lead in development quality initiatives;
- Ensures that all defect management documentation and change management processes are in place and followed to ensure full traceability of all testing activity;
- Undertake any other duties and projects at the request of the Line Manager;
- Comply with data protection legislation and act responsibly on matters of data disclosure both internally and to third parties;
- Keep up to date on Health and Safety and Fire policies for the organisation and to attend mandatory updates where required.
This job description is intended as a general guide to the scope of the post and may change in line with the needs of the service or at the request of the line manager.
- Graduate or equivalent with demonstrable testing experience;
- Highly experienced software tester, able to adapt methods to a particular project;
- Experience of implementing automated testing;
- Experience of UAT, system, end to end and integration testing;
- Some experience in test management and leading a team of testers;
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once;
- Experience of managing contractors and third party providers;
- Experience of working in a product development environment;
- Handles difficult situations confidently and removes restrictions to communication;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral;
- Good planning and organisational skills;
- Seeks customer feedback to enable setting of high standards;
- Promotes inter-departmental relations, actively pulling together to deliver business objectives;
- Encourages subordinates to support development initiatives, acting as a role model and mentor.
- Implements major change obtaining prior commitment from team;
- Provides opportunities for others to assume responsibility;
- ISEB qualification.