Technical Support Analyst (3 months fixed term initially)
Provide a competent and professional desktop technical support service for the IET staff (and affiliates) at the Stevenage Head Office and remote sites as required.
Reports to: IT Service Centre Manager
Accountable to: Head of IT
Hours: 35 hours per week, exclusive of meal breaks, plus as many as required to fulfil the needs of the post
Location: Michael Faraday House, Six Hills, Way, Stevenage
Main duties and responsibilities
- Provide support for Microsoft Desktop Operating Systems, MS Office suite and other Standard Desktop software.
- Provide other First Response technical support including support to other team members.
- Provide technical support for IET staff hardware such as PC’s, Laptops, iPads, mobiles.
- Provide support for the Avaya Desktop Telephone system.
- Provide support for the video conferencing equipment in MFH and other sites.
- Diagnose and log problems or faults and take necessary action to remedy the problem.
- Work with other members of the support team or third party suppliers to complete tasks and projects.
- Promote and maintain best working practices for computer system usage, virus management, backups, etc
- Cascade IT knowledge to the user community through micro-training and advice.
- Ensure that all levels of computer and network security are maintained to best practices.
- Maintain an organised working environment both physically around the office and electronically within the IT systems.
- Demonstrable experience of supporting Microsoft desktop environments and MS Office (in particular Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint) or be able to prove competence in IT support skills.
- A general understanding of Local and Wide Area Networks and the function of the components involved.
- A logical approach to problem solving with the ability to progress through to a successful solution using own initiative.
- Ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner with all levels of staff and a friendly attitude with customers.
- Ability to learn new skills and take on new tasks and recommend and develop improvements to working practices.
- Ability to work effectively and considerately in a team environment.
- Must have good time management skills and a flexible approach to working.
- Must be willing to complete an essential job in a timely manner and ability to manage own time scales on a wide range of tasks.
- To be educated to A level or equivalent.
- Experience in a business environment.
- To be educated to Degree level or equivalent.
- To have passed one or more Microsoft exams or similar.
- ITIL foundation level qualification.
- Exposure to a service desk environment.