Managing Editor (FTC - 9 Months)
To provide the excellent service we offer our authors, we are recruiting for maternity cover for a Managing Editor to take responsibility for the smooth running of the editorial process, ensuring timely reviewing and publication decision-making including the recruitment and managing of workload of external editors and reviewers.
Reports to: Content Development Manager, Academic Publishing
Accountable to: Content Development Manager, Academic Publishing
Hours: 35 hours per week, exclusive of meal breaks, plus as many as required to fulfill the needs of the post
Location: Michael Faraday House, Six Hills Way, Stevenage
Duration: Fixed Term Contract - January 2014 - September 2014
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To ensure that the IET’s open access policy is up to date and remains internationally relevant;
- To work with colleagues across editorial, production, sales, marketing and digital to develop the journal and raise the profile of the title amongst the research community;
- To build a network of open access advocates within the research community and developing resources to help and encourage them in promoting open access and The Journal of Engineering to their peers;
- To represent The Journal of Engineering and the IET’s open access activities at national and international meetings/conferences;
- To host regular Editorial Board meetings with Editors-in-Chiefs, Section Editors and Associate Editors;
- To develop the service to ensure submissions are processed efficiently;
- To work with other colleagues in the journals and online publishing team on the ongoing development of new features and functionality of the journal;
- To field queries relating to the IET’s open access policy including details of Article Processing charges (APCs), fee waivers, indexing of new open access journals;
- Financial reporting and planning for the journal. Being aware of the commercial nature of the journal and striving to increase revenue. Working with the Finance team to make sure our offering remains compliant with HMRC guidelines and reflects the needs of the author community;
- To undertake any other duties and projects at the request of the line manager;
- To comply with data protection legislation and act responsibly on matters of data disclosure both internally and to third parties;
- To be familiar with the Health and Safety and Fire policies for the organisation and to attend mandatory updates where required.
- Science / engineering graduate;
- A confident communicator and networker;
- Ability to manage a complex, fast-moving and daily publishing service;
- Analytical skills, particularly in pre-filtering of papers and selecting referees;
- Tact, diplomacy, networking and negotiating skills, especially in communicating with authors and referees;
- Ability to identify developing and emerging subject areas within the broad engineering scope of the journal and ensure that they are properly serviced by the editorial team/reviewer database;
- Knowledge/experience of STM publishing, especially open-access journal publishing;
- An excellent up-to -date knowledge of open access with experience of the different open access models in journal publishing;
- A thorough understanding of the drivers of the open access movement, including government policy, research funder mandates, institutional and subject repositories and the role of emerging technologies.
- Familiarity with the Manuscript Central/Scholar One system or similar editorial workflow management software.