Managing editor (oa)
To manage the overall editorial process and workflow for the IET’s open access Journal of Engineering ensuring timely reviewing and publication decision-making.
The IET has announced its intention to publish a new fully “gold” open access journal, The Journal of Engineering, from 2013. Covering the whole spectrum of engineering research with which the IET associates itself, this new journal will offer a quick route to publication for all sound research papers submitted to it.
To provide the excellent service we wish to offer our authors, we are recruiting a managing editor and two editorial assistants to take responsibility for the smooth running of the editorial process.
To manage the overall editorial process and workflow for the IET’s open access Journal of Engineering ensuring timely reviewing and publication decision-making including the recruitment and managing of workload of external editors and reviewers.
35 hours per week, exclusive of meal breaks, plus as many as required to fulfill the needs of the post
Main duties and responsibilities
- To ensure that papers submitted to the Journal of Engineering are processed effectively and swiftly through the review process;
- To work with the editorial assistants for the Journal in assigning articles to reviewers and subject editors and to recruit new editors and reviewers as required;
- To organise and chair external editor team meetings as required;
- To work with other colleagues in the journals and online publishing team on the ongoing development of new features and functionality of the journal;
- To work with marketing colleagues and other colleagues in the IET on the promotion of the journal and keep abreast of industry developments in the scientific publishing and particularly open access arena in order to position the journal effectively for the needs of authors and the scientific research community generally;
- To undertake any other duties and projects at the request of the line manager;
- To comply with data protection legislation and act responsibly on matters of data disclosure both internally and to third parties;
- To be familiar with the Health and Safety and Fire policies for the organisation and to attend mandatory updates where required.
- Science/engineering graduate;
- Ability to manage a complex, fast-moving and daily publishing service;
- Analytical skills, particularly in (managing the) pre-filtering of papers and selecting referees;
- Tact, diplomacy, networking and negotiating skills, especially in communicating with authors and referees;
- Ability to identify developing and emerging subject areas within the broad engineering scope of the journal and ensure that they are properly serviced by the editorial team/reviewer database;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to liaise effectively with other stakeholders in the journal’s operation.
- Knowledge/experience of STM publishing, especially open-access journal publishing;
- Familiarity with the Manuscript Central/Scholar One system or similar editorial workflow management software.