Inspec Indexed Content Manager
To oversee the operations of the Indexed Content Team, ensuring maximum production efficiencies are achieved.
Reports to: Head of Academic Publishing
Accountable to: Director, Knowledge Management
Hours: 35 per week, exclusive of meal breaks, plus as many as required to fulfil the needs of the post
Location: Michael Faraday House, Stevenage
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitoring and proactively managing the Inspec outsourced indexing operation, ensuring production targets are achieved against agreed timelines, quality thresholds and budgets;
- To determine and monitor the quality and consistency of indexed material, in accordance with agreed policy, and manage provision of training and feedback to suppliers;
- To be responsible for the day-to-day management of the Inspec Indexed Content Team assigning and delegating responsibilities to appropriate staff to ensure the smooth and efficient flow of material through the production system;
- To work with the New Content & Publisher Relations Manager, Production & Editorial Production Manager, Team Leader Inspec Production, and others to ensure the smooth and efficient flow of material through the production system (to ISO9001 standard);
- To research new and/or alternative working methods, such as computer-aided indexing and semantic tagging, to enhance productivity, and improve currency of thesaurus and value of Inspec indexed content;
- To undertake any other duties and projects at the request of the Director;
- To comply with data protection legislation and act responsibly on matters of data disclosure both internally and to third parties;
- To be familiar with the Health and Safety and Fire policies for the company and to attend mandatory updates where required.
This job description is intended as a general guide to the scope of the post and may change in line with the needs of the service or at the request of the line manager.
Educated to degree level in STM subject
Have good understanding of Database systems and taxonomies, with demonstrable experience of working on scientific and technical databases.
- Ability to manage and motivate a team, leading by example using good self-organisational skills, providing leadership and guidance to develop a strong team spirit;
- Ability to work under pressure without supervision in a complex production environment, using initiative and decision-making skills to deliver results in line with agreed objectives;
- Possesses a positive and proactive attitude with an eye for accuracy and attention to detail;
- Able to communicate and liaise at all levels, interacting with outsourced suppliers, HR, Systems Operations, IT and other areas of Knowledge Management as necessary;
- Willing to travel in UK and overseas to attend relevant industry events, representing the to represent IET/Inspec interests and maintain high level of market awareness;
- Good analytic, numeric and strategic planning skills to ensure accurate reporting, process management and budget inputs.
- Knowledge/awareness of Inspec Database subject areas;
- Understanding of traditional and semantic text markup;
- Experience of training for Database production tasks;
- Good MS PowerPoint, Word and Excel skills.