Head of Legal Services
To provide high quality legal advice and analyses and leadership on all aspects of the IET’s charitable, commercial and international activities.
Reports to: Director of Governance and Policy
Accountable to: Chief Executive and Secretary
Hours: 35 hours per week, exclusive of meal breaks, plus as many as required to fulfil the needs of the post
Location: Michael Faraday House, Six Hills Way, Stevenage
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To lead the legal team in providing appropriate advice and training to enable staff, management, Board and Board Committees to take business decisions in respect of any legal requirements or constraints and with understanding and control of the risks;
- To participate in key discussions and decisions at Executive Board level;
- To review the legal structures and compliance mechanisms in the UK and overseas and implement any changes required to align the IET with its compliance responsibilities and obligations under the law, regulation and other applicable codes;
- To ensure that an appropriate risk management framework is in place and consistently utilised to mitigate legal and other risks effectively;
- To source, instruct and manage the relationship with appropriate external advisers as appropriate
- To ensure the IET delivers its regulatory and legal responsibilities by monitoring compliance with charity regulations and working with the Head of Governance & Legal Affairs in providing assurance to IET Trustees;
- To alert the CES and senior managers to changes in legislation, regulation or case law which are relevant to their activities and objectives and implement any changes;
- To manage and monitor the databases of property leases and licences and significant contracts, and ensure that signed documents are kept securely and their terms are easily retrievable;
- To review the extent to which the IET’s intellectual property is protected, and implement any changes and amendments identified;
- To ensure that statutory books, including registers of members, directors and secretaries are maintained and that relevant Companies House and Charity Commission returns are made in accordance with deadlines;
- Provide legal advice on IET insurance policies;
- Contribute to the preparation of draft legislation as required;
- To undertake any other duties and projects at the request of the line manager;
- To comply with data protection legislation and act responsibly on matters of data disclosure both internally and to third parties;
- To be familiar with the Health and Safety and Fire policies for the organisation and to attend mandatory updates where required.
This job description is intended as a general guide to the scope of the post and may change in line with the needs of the service or at the request of the line manager.
- Qualified in English Law with post qualification experience in a commercial role;
- Experience of providing legal leadership within as senior management team;
- Experience in procurement;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop relationships across professional and organisational boundaries; encourage participation and knowledge sharing with other stakeholders;
- Strong commitment to professionalism, self-motivated and with the ability to work with minimum supervision;
- Excellent writing and presentation skills. The ability to write and present concise high impact, persuasive and coherent reports, briefings and responses to correspondence;
- Ability to analyse and interpret complex information and to present results and advice clearly and effectively to a range of stakeholders;
- Commitment to CPD demonstrated by appropriate professional registration and/or membership of an appropriate institution;
- Substantial knowledge of current legal affairs and able to apply these within a commercial and charity environment;
- Knowledge of Charity Law.
- Knowledge of commercial and legal processes beyond UK, preferably in one or more of China (including Hong Kong), India and the USA;
- Experience of working across a multi-faceted, multi-stakeholder organization;
- Either CIPS qualified or working towards the qualification;
- Ability to manage compliance with data protection legislation, intellectual property rights, trademarks and patents.