Group Manager, Event Production
To play a key role in managing the IET’s events portfolio which not only contributes to the sharing of Science, Engineering and Technology knowledge amongst members and the wider engineering community but also generates significant revenues for the Knowledge Management Directorate.
Reports to: Manager, Event Production and Services
Accountable to: Director Knowledge
Hours: 35 hours per week, exclusive of meal breaks, plus as many as required to fulfil the needs of the post
Location: Stevenage, Hertfordshire
Main Duties and Responsibilities (Not necessarily in priority order)
- To manage a team of Event Producers to deliver the budgeted number of events for that Group;
- To be responsible for the P&L of the Group and to provide regular forecast updates and mitigation strategies where necessary;
- To research and generate topics for a series of commercially viable events in specific engineering and technology sectors;
- To work with magazine and journal editors where appropriate to use their market knowledge to develop conferences for your sectors;
- To be responsible for the quality of the content of events, proofing all material for web, email and print marketing channels;
- To ensure adherence to research and conference production processes and managing the schedule of event deadlines;
- To liaise with the Sponsorship Sales department to ensure that sponsorship opportunities are maximised for events within the Group;
- To liaise with the Marketing department to ensure that each event is effectively promoted and publicised using all appropriate channels;
- To work closely with the Communities department (Local Networks, Technical Professional Networks, Sectors) to manage the events process for events proposed by members;
- To liaise with other areas of the business where appropriate to maximise other event and revenue opportunities;
- To be responsible for the recruitment, training, performance, motivation and career development of the Event Producers within the Group;
- To maintain an awareness of events produced by other Institutions and commercial competitors;
- To contribute to the strategic direction of the Event Production and Services department and annual and longer term business planning;
- To undertake any other duties and projects at the request of the line manager;
- To be familiar with the Health and Safety and Fire policies for the organisation and to attend mandatory updates where required.
This job description is intended as a general guide to the scope of the post and may change in line with the needs of the service or at the request of the line manager.
- Educated to degree level with an interest in Engineering, Technology or Business, including expertise in the current commercial/industrial world;
- At least three years’ experience in a conference producing environment, with experience of managing a conference production team;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to influence, persuade and motivate at all levels;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Sound organisational and planning skills, with the ability to work under pressure and to deadlines;
- Ability to assimilate complex information quickly;
- Good experience of generating topics for commercial events;
- High level of IT literacy;
- Budget management experience.
- An established network of contacts in an industry sector served by the Institution;
- Knowledge of an additional language;
- High degree of interest in current business issues and industry trends;
- Project management skills.