The role of Development Manager is to manage the IET Development teams based in Stevenage and to work with external vendors on the technical execution of development projects.
Reports to: Head of Product Solutions
Accountable To: Head of IT and Digital Services
Hours: 35 hours per week, exclusive of meal breaks, plus as many as required to fulfil the needs of the post
Location: Michael Faraday House, Six Hills Way, Stevenage
Main Duties and Responsibilities (not necessarily in priority order)
- To effectively manage an efficient agile software development methodology (or other as appropriate);
- To effectively manage governance around the full software development life cycle;
- To plan the allocation of development resource and activities and co-ordinate the execution of these development plans;
- To report on and communicate development deliverables, ensuring developments are delivered to agreed schedules;
- To be responsible for the impact analysis and estimates for development work packages;
- To effectively manage quality development frameworks that will enable the business to deliver technical solutions in a cost effective manner in line with corporate standards;
- To be responsible for ensuring the availability of the IET's web services and other applications, in co-operation with internal and external support services as appropriate;
- Responsible for the security and monitoring of developed systems along with resolution of any arising issues, implemented in accordance with release and change control standards;
- To work closely with the business and product development teams, acting as a trusted advisor and provide input into business cases and provide technical approaches;
- Undertake any other duties and projects at the request of the Line Manager;
- Comply with data protection legislation and act responsibly on matters of data disclosure both internally and to third parties;
- Keep up to date on Health and Safety and Fire policies for the organisation and to attend mandatory updates where required.
This job description is intended as a general guide to the scope of the post and may change in line with the needs of the service or at the request of the line manager.
- Demonstrable experience in leading a development team;
- Excellent communication skills both written and spoken;
- Strong Leadership qualities – previous experience of managing Software Development teams;
- Experience of Agile Development techniques;
- Technically expert – this individual is able to function as chief architect or technical lead where required;
- In particular, experience of Java, .NET, C#, XML, coldfusion;
- Experience of managing contractors and third party providers;
- An excellent problem solver;
- Commercial skills;
- Previous experience of running a budget and of negotiation;
- Personable, driven, dynamic personality;
- Able to cope with pressure
- Prince II;
- Previous IT Security experience.