Commercial and contracts manager
To provide legal expertise in respect of contract management and legal compliance for the IET’s charitable, commercial and international activities.
To provide legal expertise primarily in respect of contract management and legal compliance for the IET’s charitable, commercial and international activities.
35 hours per week
Main duties and responsibilities
Provision of legal advice and assurance on all aspects of IET group commercial activity, including:
- Supporting commercial best practice, including drafting and reviewing commercial contracts;
- Supporting risk management, including mitigation of legal risk;
- Oversight of the IET Internal Audit function and annual programme;
- Supporting negotiations with third parties including but not limited to: tendering activities, contract terms, confidentiality agreements, copyright, IPR exploitation agreements and licenses;
- Identifying and resolving legal issues in respect of proposed projects and transactions; supporting minimisation of exposure and costs in respect of litigations and claims;
- Proactively monitoring compliance with charity regulations and working with the Head of Governance & Legal Affairs in providing assurance to IET Trustees;
- Commissioning and managing external legal advice when required;
- Developing policies and procedures to promote sound contract management and procurement across the business;
- Maintaining a database and assure the on-going management in accordance with agreed terms, of all contracts and commercial agreement entered into by the IET and its subsidiary companies;
- Supporting training and coaching of staff responsible for preparing, managing and terminating contracts and other commercial arrangements;
- To be familiar with IET policies and procedures, in particular the Health and Safety and Fire policies of the organisation and to attend mandatory updates where required;
- To comply with data protection legislation and act responsibly on matters of data disclosure both internally and to third parties;
- To undertake any other duties and projects at the request of the line manager.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop relationships across professional and organisational boundaries; encourage participation and knowledge sharing with other stakeholders;
- Strong commitment to professionalism, self motivated and with the ability to work with minimum supervision;
- Excellent writing and presentation skills. The ability to write and present concise high impact, persuasive and coherent reports, briefings and responses to correspondence;
- Ability to analyse and interpret complex information and to present results and advice clearly and effectively to a range of stakeholders;
- Ability to manage compliance with data protection legislation, intellectual property rights. trademarks and patents;
- Commitment to CPD demonstrated by appropriate professional registration and/or membership of an appropriate institution;
- Either CIPS qualified or working towards the qualification.
- Qualified in English Law with post qualification experience in a commercial role;
- Experience of working across a multi-faceted, multi-stakeholder organisation;
- Knowledge of commercial and legal processes beyond UK, preferably in one or more of China (including Hong Kong), India and the USA;
- Experience in procurement;
- Knowledge of Charity Law.