Campaign Development Manager
This is a key role within the IET working with the executive staff and high level volunteers to raise funds from corporations, foundations, and high net worth individuals.
Reports to: Director of Governance and Policy
Accountable to: CEO
Hours: 35 hours per week, exclusive of meal breaks, plus as many as required to fulfill the needs of the post
Band: Personal Contract
Location: Both in London and at Michael Faraday House, Stevenage
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Strategy and Leadership
- Develop and deliver a transformational and sustainable strategy that will provide a step change for the charitable aims of the IET;
- To raise income with a focus on securing high six figure donations from major donors by initiating and developing long term relationships with them and the IET and specifically the Impact Engineering campaign;
- In consultation with senior volunteers and the CEO develop and implement key performance indicators, milestones, budgets and targets;
- To oversee and manage all donor relationships, ensuring contractual obligations are fulfilled and benefits monitored;
- Develop a culture of success which reflects the motivations and ambitions of Impact Engineering and the strategic priorities of the IET;
- Once established, provide leadership and support to the fundraising operations team by monitoring progress and success through ongoing supervision, ensuring that objectives are met and that the highest standards of professionalism are maintained;
- To oversee the development and implementation of a comprehensive stewardship and recognition programme for all supporters; with particular emphasis on maximising the long term value of our most generous supporters;
- Undertake prospect research with the goal of identifying new foundation, corporation and individual major gift prospects in the UK and globally and ensure the most effective approaches are made to secure funds;
- Maintain a top prospect list of potential donors, including multiple classifications, (readiness, lead volunteer areas of interest, etc.);
- Lead and manage the process of developing specific strategies around each prospect, engaging with volunteers and staff routinely to implement.
- Work with committee chairs to ensure compliance with the campaign strategy, policies, and governance standards;
- Ensure that activity and finance benchmarks are achieved;
- Liaise with IET department heads and stakeholders to ensure all are aware of campaign activities and to coordinate proposals;
- Ensure that robust systems are in place to effectively manage gifts and pledges including supporter services and provide regular reports to CEO and Campaign Board;
- Ensure that all fundraising activities adhere to ethical and legal fundraising frameworks.
Cultivation / Engagement
- Coordinate and prepare the CEO, high level volunteers and staff for donor meetings, conversations, with corporations, individuals and other prospects;
- Develop specific gift request strategies and proposals, write gift requests, and supporting letters and finalise agreements with donors;
- Develop and manage relationships with potential donors, including corporations, foundations, and individuals;
- Work with communications/PR team to develop and implement a strategy to support and promote fundraising activities where appropriate;
- Organise a select number of key cultivation events annually;
- Act as a prominent representative of the charity for major events or meetings and as a spokesperson for media interviews as required.
- Build and maintain effective relationships across the organisation;
- Maintain a good lay understanding of engineering and technology topics, issues and projects in order to communicate these effectively to internal and external audiences;
- To undertake any other duties and projects at the request of the line manager;
- To comply with data protection legislation and act responsibly on matters of data disclosure both internally and to third parties;
- To be familiar with the Health and Safety and Fire policies for the organisation and to attend mandatory updates where required.
Knowledge, Qualifications, Experience, Skills and Competencies
- Relevant degree qualification, educated to degree level or equivalent;
- Proven and demonstrable experience of soliciting gifts at a six and seven figure level or other transferable experience of securing new business in a commercial sales environment or not-for-profit sector;
- Demonstrable experience of devising and delivering strategy;
- Excellent written communication skills, with the ability to assimilate complex information quickly and produce written papers to a high standard of presentation and argument;
- Willingness and ability to travel where required;
- Experience in developing strong and compelling fundraising materials;
- Expertise in researching and matching prospective donor interests with funding needs and using research tools an analytics;
- Ability to work independently and manage time effectively;
- IT literate and fully conversant with Microsoft Office packages, including Excel;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Proven ability to lead, inspire and manage volunteers and other senior stakeholders to achieve against specific financial goals;
- Highly numerate with the ability to quickly understand complex financial information;
- Excellent presentation skills with thorough and accurate attention to detail;
- Excellent understanding of the principles of good customer care and the accountabilities of a charity and the motivations of its donors, supporters and volunteers.
- Entrepreneurial with a track record of getting things done and achieving impact;
- Ability to develop relationships from cultivation to solicitation to stewardship;
- Diplomacy in difficult situations and ability to inspire trust in others by treating all individuals in a fair and consistent manner;
- Results orientated and a commitment to achieving targets whilst taking personal accountability for work;
- Openness to new methods and alternative means in order to accomplish results;
- Upbeat, confident, proactive, persistent and positive attitude;
- Drive and ability to act on own initiative and work to tight deadlines and targets;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well independently and in a team.
- Fundraising, Marketing or Business Development qualification;
- An interest in engineering, science and technology;
- Knowledge of the work of the IET as a charity and understanding of the mutual benefits of effective partnership working.